lost dog

pipholley

I recently found a dog wandering around and I absolutely love him, my kids do too. We've put up posters and have asked around but no one has claimed him or knows where he came from. We live in a very small town where everyone knows everyone and their dogs, so we know he's not from around here. He had no tags, just a collar and he was dirty. I know that whoever had him before loved him because he is the sweetest, most loving dog I've ever met. We want to keep him but I don't want to be heartbroken if the owner shows up. We've had him for about three weeks and I'm already so attached but my heart breaks for whoever lost this special little dog too... What should I do?

Xandra

He could have been "lost" intentionally. Some people have it in their heads that they can just set their dog loose in rural places and the dog will live happily ever after (in this case it seems he will :)). Many dogs love love love people, regardless of their past treatment. Just because he is friendly does NOT mean that he was well loved before.

If you haven't already, call the animal control agencies and vets in your town and neighboring towns. Take the dog into a nearby veterinary hospital or animal shelter to scan him for a microchip (and I'm assuming you haven't noticed a tattoo in his ear or on his belly). You could put up posters in nearby areas too, possibly with something along the lines of "Please let us know if this dog is unwanted" (well something a little better than that lol). Make it sound non-judgmental and give leeway for evasiveness to give the dumper a chance to let you know if the dog is up for grabs. I'd wait a week or two after that and if you still can't find his owner... keep him and stop looking. Obviously the possibility of heartbreak is still there if the owner DOES find you and demands the dog back, it's a risk you'll just have to accept. I think after a certain period of time the dog becomes yours, but you'd have to double check your local laws on that.

I think this is the first time I've said this, but I hope the little guy really was abandoned. I hope you get to keep him!

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
I kind of hope you just get to keep him, 3 weeks is a bit of time for nobody to be looking or have seen your LOST ad.

Oh and I think we need a pic of him.

pipholley

Thanks so much, I'll be taking him to the vet Monday and putting poster's up at animal shelters...hopefully we'll get to keep him or find his owner and they'll be decent people. No matter what though I'm thankful that I got to spend time with him at all...If we do find the owner, I plan to offer to buy him... I've got pics posted on my profile.

Last edited:

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I know here at least, after having a dog in your possession for three days (and contacting local shelters, etc.) it is officially "your" dog. <- This from the local humane society and a rescue I contacted after I found a stray Basset Hound.

I would say after three weeks I would just plan on keeping him. There is a chance that his owners could show up, but I personally would stop looking for them, especially if you contacted vet offices/shelters in your area about a missing dog.

Well since you have not goen to shelters or a vet yet. you never know if he is chipped and has very very worried woners. please go to the vet with him and check for a chip. I would be so freaking heart broken if Blaze was lost for 3 weeks,a nd held at a well meaning families home, but they never checked for a chip.

Please post adds on kijiji and craigs list. dont put up a picture, and dont put up his very description.just place it very vagley. date you found said dog, male or female, small, large, hairy short fur ect. just be vague so joe schmo doesnt pretend to own him either

I agree with Tankstar. I hope you get to keep him though since you love him so much! I found 'my' dog (I am still hoping to find her a home) Dumpster and looked for her owner for several weeks - checked for a microchip, put up signs, Craigslist, etc. I gave up and a few months later was walking down the street with her and her old owner walked up to me and introduced himself. But. . . he then refused to take her back.:rolleyes:

Well since you have not goen to shelters or a vet yet. you never know if he is chipped and has very very worried woners. please go to the vet with him and check for a chip. I would be so freaking heart broken if Blaze was lost for 3 weeks,a nd held at a well meaning families home, but they never checked for a chip.

Please post adds on kijiji and craigs list. dont put up a picture, and dont put up his very description.just place it very vagley. date you found said dog, male or female, small, large, hairy short fur ect. just be vague so joe schmo doesnt pretend to own him either

Doberluv

I think, for your own peace of mind, you ought to follow Tankstar's advice. That way, you'll know you did all your could and there will be less chance of his owners coming to take him away from you. I do hope you get to keep him.

Members online

No members online now.