Breed of dogs that you have owned..

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Pit Bulls - not for anything THEY'VE done, but I'm so scared of BSL and having to fight for my dog or watching it lose it's freedom, that I can't do it.

Toller_08

Dachshunds -- used to think I'd want another, but now I know that as much as I loved Jesse, the breed really is not for me. The general temperaments of hound breeds do not match me at all.

Bichon Frise -- Just not my thing. They're nice dogs for the right people, but they're definitely not a breed for me.

I used to say I wouldn't have another Rottweiler again. But only because of all the heartbreak I've endured with the breed. That's totally not true though... the more I'm around Rotties again, the more I really, really wish I had one. They were the best, most enjoyable dogs that we ever had in our family. So eager, do driven, so easy to live with... just an overall joy. I want another one so badly. The only thing I could do without is the constant panting in the summer, haha. Mine definitely didn't deal with the heat well.

mrose_s

BusterLove
ACD
I would rescue the right adult mix and there are things I love about the breed but there are just so many things that make them what they are that arn't ideal for me.

crazy_paws

No thumbs = No mutiny
I would consider just about any breed by the individual.

Overall, I've been slightly put off yorkies' by my mother's. But I'll try not to color the whole breed by one demon-in-a-dog-suit. lol

DA breeds. I don't want to deal with intense dog aggression.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Pembroke Welsh Corgi... from stockdog lines. I'll always have a conformation/performance bred corgi though.

smeagle

I could easily own another Sibe or Beagle, in fact my next dog will probably be another Beagle. I like having a more unconventional competition dog. I will have another Sibe but no more than one at a time... the shedding is extreme! But I really want to do obedience comps with one, just to prove it can be done (and done well).

I love hounds and spitz breeds so I will always have some. I wouldn't mind a higher drive dog like a Toller just to know what it would be like to have a breed more naturally inclined to work with me!

elegy

overdogged
i've owned a mini poodle, pit bulls, and border collie. i'd take another one of any of the three breeds in the future.

when i was a kid, we had a cocker spaniel. i'd even take one of them from the right breeder (and i can even tell you who the right breeder is *g*), though probably not in the immediate future. right now i'm into dogs with less sanity and more drive. but down the road, a nice field/sport bred cocker might be just what i'm in the mood for. they're such nice dogs when they're not shy, allergic, piddling messes.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Bichon Frise or Poodles: We've had both, and I love them as a breed but I hate dealing with groomers. It gets expensive and annoying..

Afghan Hound: Pretty dog. but kind of snobby.. my mom has one now. Lots of grooming, lots of hair, and I dunno, most people think they are beautiful. I think they are pretty odd looking... and those tails. dont even get me started on the tails lol

German Shepherd: as much as I love kenya, I find that im not well suited for the breed. Lots of shedding, lots of energy, drive, etc.. just not my cup of tea

American Bulldog: Cousin had one, she lived with us for a while. I just wouldn't own a bully breed.. and not just because of BSL problems. We couldnt really take her to the dog park, she liked to throw her weight around (Like lean on people when they petted her), she liked to play tug..a lot (a game I personally HATE playing) and was just so **** stubborn!! and there was just something about her.. I've met plenty of bulldogs and their personalities just don't suit me as far as a dog to own.

I will always own a chihuahua and hope to get a golden one day :) I love retrievers

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Australian Shepherds/herding breeds: Chloe has just really made me not want to own another herding breed ever, ever again. Particularly Australian Shepherds. Rose's dam was a Cattle Dog/Shepherd mix and while I was very young when we had her, I do remember her BARKING. And had she not been an outside dog with 80+ acres to run on, I'm not sure she would have been a happy, mellow dog. Either way, they just aren't my cup of tea.

Dalmations and Weimaraners: While I've never owned the breeds, I have worked with them and I have yet to meet one that is sane.

I grew up with a Malamute and she has left me with a huge soft spot for the breed and I've love to own one again (when I no longer have any small animals that might be potential prey). She was as stubborn as heck and extremely dog aggressive, but she was SUCH a big marshmellow and was SO loving. She was just tail wags, licks, and happy noises towards people and I miss her terribley. If I were to get another one, I would probably adopt an adult just so I could be sure to get the kind of temperment/activity level I wanted.
But other than Loupie, my only childhood dogs were Labs and I hope my next addition will be another Lab.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
We had a petstore bichon growning up. He had alot of problems being from a puppymill, but he left a bad taste in my mouth about the breed even though i loved him (i was a kid, which kid didnt love their dog?). The more bichons i meet at work, the less i actually like. I found a different non-shedding breed that i love, so i really dont ever *need/want* to own one again.

That is the only other dog besides Riley ive owned (and i obviously love and want more poodles). I know that just working with different breeds that i dont ever want to own a lab, beagle, husky, or chihuahua. They just dont fit me.

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
Terriers of any kind. I have had experience with a Schnauzer/terrier mix, and a Pit mix. And my god I would never consider owning any terrier again. Their personalities are not appealing to me at all. I also don't like their play styles. Lilo was far too rough and pushy with Sawyer and he ended up with raw ears and cheeks. Morrison and Sawyer play rough but they never scrape each other or draw blood.

I also don't like DA dogs. With my anxiety there is nothing about managing a DA terrier that sounds appealing to me. It freaks me out that it is not uncommon for JRT puppies to attack other puppies in their litters. I don't want a dog that aggressive or has to be managed to that extent.

So yeah no matter how cute I think they are. Even as terrier in need I would just foster. I can't imagine living with one long term.

Maxy24

I don't own Phoebe but I'm around her enough to know I would NEVER want a dog like her. She's a Shih Tzu. She can't do anything physically beyond a 20-30 minute walk when it's cool out, if I throw the toy for her to fetch she can't do it more than 3-4 times before she decides she's all done. If we play tug it lasts maximum 2 minutes. When I walk her to the park she has to rest for a good 15 minutes before we can walk around and then she can only manage about one lap of the park before she must rest again. She does not run there, she does not play there.
She is very moody and anxious. She's petrified of the cats, when one scratches the post she has to run behind someone because it scares her. You can't get upset because she's just fearful but it's kind of annoying. especially when poor Neko (who ADORES dogs) comes to cuddle with Phoebe she rolls onto her back and then runs away as soon as possible. She's scared of loud noises, people's feet (although I'm sure uncle has shoved/kicked her for being in the way), and some people.
She doesn't enjoy physical contact, petting annoys her and she hates being brushed. I'm not a fan of the hair either, especially the face hair that gets filled with eye boogers and food. Her feet and belly get soaked in morning dew and snow balls collect on her. I'm also not a fan of the size, simply because they are small, I have to bend to pet her and I can't cuddle (at least not the way I like to) with small animals (including my cats), I like a dog I can hug and lean on.

However I don't think all Shih-Tzus are suppose to be like Phoebe temperament wise, they are supposed to like physical contact, they are companion dogs after all. I love Phoebe like I love family but I would never want to own her.

I would take another Max in a heart beat. He is the total opposite of Phoebe, a 65 pound, smooth haired, athletic (although out of shape, he would walk himself to death if you let him), confident, attention *****.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I haven't owned a terrier but I had to babysit my grandma's two terriers while she was in the hospital. almost all my family has terriers other than us and I'm just totally not a terrier person. My grandma had a rat terrier and a yorkie. I liked the yorkie but her rat terrier was probably my least favorite dog on the planet. I think she would have been a good dog in another home where she got about 100 times more exercise. My grandma always tried to give her to me but I could never take her, it just wouldn't have been fair to her because I just didn't like her at all.

So yeah, I seriously doubt I'll ever go looking for a terrier breed. Our personalities seem to clash too much.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
APBT, I will never own one again due to the DA and the restrictions.
GSDS - I LOVE them, I'll probably always have one.

Catsi

I don't know. I think I will have a Chi again, but not for a while.

What I do know is that I will never ever by from a byb again, that is the one certainty.

Purebreed puppy from an ethical, registered breeder OR an adult rescue for me.

Members online

No members online now.