Akiro's New Schedule

Akiro

Hero not Akiro anymore!
Alright i hope this works yeah just tell me if it might work or not so here goes:
We sleep then i wake up in the early morning(hour before school) and feed him breakfast(is this a too early of a breakfast?)Then ten minutes later i take him out and walk him around maximum 3 blocks and praise him ALOT and give him all the attention i can for the remaining hour.Then i get ready for school and go to school.My brothers get off at 1:30 so i narrowed it down to about 5 hours.Akiro will be at the kitchen where i will baby gate gim with an open crate if he feels to sleep a kong with peanut butter stuffing with kibbles,chew toys, and an ice cube worth of water to keep him a little hydrated but not too much to make him wee-wee.I think he can keep himself occupied for that long and my brother at 1:30 will go straight home and take him out to walk.Then he leaves to football practice and i come home at 3:00 about 1 1/2 hours later.I play with him until 8:00 (including feeding and walking) then do my homework.Finally around 11:00-12:00 we'll go to sleep.Also is it ok to crate him locked in with a few chew toys or should a leave him free to roam around a bit with the babby gate? thanks and i know you probably think like i think it's easy and you'll reply its not that simple but i know it's not just a quick overview......so what do you think?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Well, it's a start anyway. But I think you're relying an awful lot on a boy who plays football. All of my guy friends played football, and during the season there really wasn't any hanging out with them because all they did was practice and school.

And maybe at least two ice cubes. You don't want him to get a UTI from not drinking enough. He's going to pee in the house at first, there's no way around it. No one is home to take him out every hour like he needs. Make sure that kitchen is bomb-proof! If there's even a question of whether or not the dog could open that, pull this down or get into something else, fix it so there's no way possible. Bored dogs are creative and almost supernatural in their destructive capabilities. And be prepared to come home to chewed table and chair legs. Just because they have doggie chew toys, doesn't mean they'll use them.

bubbatd

I know you are concerned and appreciate your asking. I personally don't see how you can wake up an hour before school....let your pup out, clean up the night accidents, feed him, take him out to pot, walk him, play with him , eat your own breakfast, get ready for school, settle him for his 5 hours alone ! This is at least a 2 hour job without stress , which your schedule would present. I'm sorry, but when I bred and sold pups, this is when I recommended rescue. I know how you bought your pup. but that's beside the point. Thinking of what his background MIGHT have been....I would suggest major time with this pup in the beginning. I wish you the best. When do they ship him to you and how old will he be. ??? Please, we're here to help you , so let us know as much as you can ..

Akiro

Hero not Akiro anymore!
I don't eat breakfast, and im taking him out alot (before we go to sleep)so he makes no night accidents.Also puppy training pads will help right?I'll train him(i hope he'll learn by the week and 3 days before school)to go on it.

currently Akiro is 6 weeks old, the owner said i have to wait another two weeks because he's not old enough but the 18th is the first day he's old enough, he'll arrive at 11:21 a.m of the 19th so the 19th he will be about almost 9 weeks old.

bubbatd

It's still going to rough for you both,,,,I hope in the 13 days you have with him, you can have him pretty well trained and don't have to go the puppy pad route. I only bred goldens and they were pretty well trained at that age. But I did know of a doxi that never got the hang of it.

Fran27

You missed my reply to your other post so here it is...

I checked the ad of your pup, personally I would forget the $100 non refundable deposit and go get your pup somewhere else. $300 for a pup is way too cheap, the parents were NOT tested for genetic diseases, and you may end up with a puppy with chronicle problems that will cost you way more than the deposit you will lose if you cancel your order... Even worse, the people who have him are willing to sell him with a full registration They are very irresponsible, please don't get your pup there.

Otherwise, if you don't have AC, I really don't recommend giving him only one icecube of water. You have to make him drink in the morning, and you can't put water away from him at night and in the day, it's too much. He will pee anyway, might as well give him enough water and give him wee wee pads.

You really can't leave a baby without water. To keep him from slurping it all down or even spilling it all over, take some plastic containers (about the size of those small margarine tubs or small freezer containers) and fill them with water to 1/2 inch below the top and freeze them. You can pop one into his bowl when you leave with a little water and he'll have fresh water as it melts without having too much all at once. I'd suggest putting his food and water dish on a mat too, one of the kind that you would set inside a door to wipe your feet (new and clean) is a good choice. That will keep him from sliding his dishes all over the place.

Spray bitter apple on any table or chair legs he's got access to in the kitchen, and you might want to spray the cabinet corners that are close enough to the ground for him to get to.

A puzzle ball is a good toy for a pup who is going to be alone for awhile, and leave an old shirt with your scent on it in his bed.

poeluvr

hopefully this will work out. im not as much worried about the hours he'll be alone, but how commited you are. it is one thing to say it here, with helpful, but critical eyes watching, but then to stay tru, and do it everyday is another.
A LOT of people get slouchy at routines after the first week or so. im worriewd a month after you have your pup, youll skip walking him, making ice cubes for him night before, stuff the kong with peanut butter, play with him b4 school. some days ill bet u think it not a biig deeal to skip a walk, make ice for him, make sure ur brother commits that day to getting home to walk him...and that happens alot. but it is especially important it doesnt happen to u because of the amount of hours ull be gone from him

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
At least you will have some time with him before you start school up again. That will give him some time to get a little more used to his surroundings and his new family. For being 15 and having school to wrry about I think you are doing a wonderful job rearranging your life for a new puppy. I hope you keep it up. I mean everyone leaves a puppy at home sometimes I mean people have to work and like fran said if that was the case then NO ONE would ever have a puppy. BUT you are going to have some accidents and there is nothing you can do about that. When we got Teddy I was home with him all day everyday and he still had an accident from time to time because I lost track of time. I wish you the best of luck with your new puppy and I hope everything works out well for you. I'm sure he will be a happy pup.

Akiro

Hero not Akiro anymore!
so you are all saying this can or might work out? and that it's not such a bad idea?wow thanks this really inspres me, and im starting to commit most of my time for him.Thanks again, you really helped me out. . . .

Fran27

Sigh I guess I wasted my time typing some advice. Hope you won't get too many issues with your pup, and grats to the backyard breeder who managed to sell another non tested pup...

Mordy

Quigleyfied
the first thing you'll have to do when you wake up in the morning is take your puppy outside to potty. no brushing teeth, no wasting 5 minutes to get dressed - just put the leash on and take it outside.

also, restricting water just to avoid the dog having accidents is cruel. do not restrict water, except for maybe from about an hour before bedtime.

the rule of thumb for how long a pup can "hold it" is the age in months plus one hour - so if your pup comes home at age 8 weeks (2 months), you should not leave it confined longer than 3 hours without a chance to potty. since your dog will be alone for 5 hours, you need to provide a puppy pad or litterbox.

then again, the last thing you do before you go to bed is to take the puppy outside to potty again.

i think you need to rethink your routine a bit there.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Fran27 said:
Sigh I guess I wasted my time typing some advice. Hope you won't get too many issues with your pup, and grats to the backyard breeder who managed to sell another non tested pup...
It's teenage puppy love at it's best. They hear what they want and tune the rest out.

Akiro: What I think everyone is trying to say is that it probably was a bad idea to get the puppy when you are, and where you got it from. It's not bad to want a puppy and take care of it, but you're kind of setting yourself up for some issues.

poeluvr

well fran, theres no pint makin her feel bad about it.u said what u said and she didntt take ur advice. in my personal opinion there will always be back yard breeders for there will always be someone who wants one, the puppy is already here by getting rid of it because of not supporting the breeder, it will only turn out bad for the dog, by sending it to the breeder they will only sell it to some1 else.
wats done is done

Members online

No members online now.