She dont like the rain

Suemac

Hi everyone,i have a 10 week old pup called we have had her 4 weeks now,shes a bright little thing and seems quite easy to train. She was doing fantastic with the house training going straight to the door when she needed to wee but then the rain came and she is so stubborn she will not do it out side.She will play out in the rain and always poos out there but pee not a chance,she just holds it and first chance in she goes and pees wherever.What am i doing wrong? I have a 3 year old dog also so im not new to dogs and my eldest dog was 15 but had a heart attack a few months ago which was why we got a pup after we lost him. I have tried to train our pup the same way as our other dogs which always worked but im at a loss with this problem.Any advice please.
Thanks Sue :(

I'm so sorry that you lost your companion. Even though nothing and no one ever takes the place of the one who is gone, it sounds like this new puppy is doing a good job of keeping you busy and keeping you from being too lonely.

Won't pee in the rain, hmmm? What a strange and funny trait! It sounds like you may just have to out-stubborn her; take her out and stay until she pees, then praise her to the skies when she does. I'd strongly suggest you get a good umbrella. :D

What kind of dog is she?

Suemac

Thanks for the reply most of the time she just leaves me stood there on me own the little madam lol .She's a very mixed breed mum was a collie whippet cross and dad was either a labrador or german shepherd they wernt quite sure but shes a real big girl for her age.

You might have to take her out on a leash when it's raining. That way you're in charge of when she comes in out of the rain.

You'll have to post some photos of her in the galleries. I'll bet she's adorable.

Suemac

Thanx for the reply i will try with her on a lead and see if i can get her to wee in the rain before i get totally soaked yet again lol :eek:
As for posting a picture i will have to try learn that one lol :confused:

I have a Whippet and she hates to go out in cold weather. rain, snow, extreme cold. She was very easy to potty train until the rain came and then she started going in the house. We started making her go outside before bedtime and she still went in the house. We then discovered that she was going under the eave out of our sight and waiting a few minutes and then coming back in. We started watching her the whole time and not letting her in until we saw her go. Anybody that thinks Whippets are not very smart needs to actually be around one for awhile. The only thing that works is to crate her at night. She won't go in the crate. WJ

DobeDad

I have a similar problem with my 12 week old doberman puppy. Although, our issue is that she will not go to the bathroom, period, outside in the rain. We come back inside after 20 minutes standing in the rain, she runs somewhere and poops on the carpet. We got her a coat that covers the length of her body and she now goes about 50% of the time in the rain.

If anyone else has any advice please let me know. Hopefully this is just a stage and she will grow out of it!

Somewhere on the web on a dog-stuff site I saw a neat contraption. It was an umbrella that looked upside down, with a stem that held the umbrella about eight inches or so above the dog and it hooked to the collar. It looked like the perfect solution to a dog that doesn't want to get wet while taking care of business outside.

Members online

No members online now.