ART UNLEASHED 2013 in progress

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
attempt number one. I don't know what I will do with it..maybe glaze the whole thing blue, or the person blue and the dog a matching collar and then iron oxide the dog dark. One or the other. Possibly affix it to a tile.
I want to do a tribute a month until August.
The first being to people that adopt..not shop.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
The person needs to be redone, and about an inch taller...so I will do this as a tester and see how it looks blue and wait on the dog. The dog so far is all good with me, nothing reeks wrong that I can tell. You don't do much detail if your going to use a glaze...will see. I wanted to share the direction of thought, and see how it comes out in the end.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Awesome! Can't you leave the boy that size; it could be a younger boy looking at the pup.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
TESTER person has become tester person and dog. Something has to work. The first pair fired the first firing no problem...now for the hard part. The glaze will either make it or kill it.

I was just going to make the person but he looked lonely.
Anyone have a thimble full of porcelain I could have without having to drive across town to get it? sighs. Or having to get a whole bag when all I need, is about that much. Hopefully when I get to the guild someone will be throwing some on the wheel and I can just have it. I do not like handbuilding with it, and if I have to get a whole bag, :rolleyes: I am stuck with it use up.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
since I don't have a deffinant plan other than to donate several pieces I have started another teapot. I have the body, base, and spout made. Now I have to decide, cat, dog or groundhog for the handle. This came out well as far as my craftmanship went but was not totally pleased with the shade, I have no control over that whatsoever, you can see the difference between the two small groundhogs and the teapot. Either way i think it basically works. So what do you think..dog, with toy on top, cat with toy on top, or another groundog? ONe is as hard as the other.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/smkie/march2013/CIMG4642_zpsa25d6005.jpg

My blue glaze didn't turn out the way I wanted it to on another piece so even tho I had dropped off the boy to the dog in the original post, I had the monitor put a do not fire note on it until i can get back and wash it off. The glaze in teh bucket is too thick and will ruin my piece. I will wash it off and apply it with a brush. THat I can control. IN the meantime I am trying on another small dog.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier

the lid sits a little further forward, against the dog's nose that is on the handle. I don't want it to rest there until after it is fired and his little nose is glazed all shiny black.
there are several sticks scattered around the little dog on the top. I do not like this teapot structure as much as the groundhog, but you only have so much time to keep changing things, and long story short, this is how it went together. An argument every step of the way. THe groundhog one was just the opposite. Might have to try one more time. Either way, I will have something come auction time.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Thank you BAx. I so appreciate feedback.
Here is Poor Pitiful Pearl.

I am glad I Ear marked Feb and April donation months and worked hard to stay in that frame of time. I will be watching my grandson and grand daughter during the week, so that pretty much will take all that I have, and the presses will probably close down.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Love the doggie teapot! What a great idea!

I have to say that the expresssions on the dogs' faces are so beautiful. They look like they are saying "I love you, take me home".

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Oh, very cool! You are very talented :D. I love your 'TESTER Person and Dog', that is beautiful.
Just wish I knew how to finish them. I was not happy with how one dog fired...I could go get some bronze stuff, and patina them, add some gold highlights.

I was thinking your Skye looks a whole lot like my Victor. In coloring anyway..and some expression. Beautiful.

Thanks Barb that is what I am hoping for.:D

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Poor lab..what happens when you don't put in the needle hole because you forgot you made him hollow. would have only take a second.:mad: at self. He didnt' go out with a whimper, he went out like a gun shot.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Little brown duck

don't know how it will look after firing but hopefully the color will not change much. The clay body is b mix, which has a lot of porcelain in it, and will not be the brown sandy texture of stoneware.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
step two on second teapot, almost ready for the gas kiln..step on on third. Something is going to be good enough..of several..I only send my best.STill don't like the size of either lid as much as I did the first teapot.

Experimental duck. mason stain on white stoneware. I will fire that one in an electric because most of the mason stain will not show if I put it in the gas kiln. IF I don't like how it turns out in the electric, I will send it on to the gas or raku kiln it black. I wish it would stay the way it is.

big owl drying. I would like to donate one owl to see what it sells for. They are such a pia to make however and always risky to fire. makes me very sad when all that work is for not.

Barb04

Super Moderator
The teapot is awesome! I do like the color of the duck; I hope it turns out as you like when fired.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
THank you Barb. : ) <3 I have the pup's eyes in now, but haven't decided on color of the cat. black would probably be best, but I could also do a tabby with a reddish glaze. It worked well for me some time back on a piggy bank harmonica playing cat. Wish I had some porcelain to make a white blaze on the cat, but I don't.

Members online

No members online now.