Freya

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Wednesday morning, I woke up, put water on for coffee, put Finn out, opened the living room blinds, and went to check on the ferrets. Same routine as every morning.

Porom and Barrett were up and waiting to greet me... and on the top level lay a disturbingly still Freya.

She looked like she was sleeping. It could be that she was older than the rescue had guessed, and either way it seems it was just her time. But I sure wasn't ready.

----

Her write-up on the rescue site snagged me.

"Well, we can't get her to sit still long enough to really get to know her. Needless to say, she sure does like to run like a mad woman! She's cute as a button and sweet as can be."

They weren't far off. Easily the most rambunctious ferret I've ever dealt with. She spent her first few weeks attempting to bully Porom when I wasn't looking. I had to separate them at first. Funny, because the pair were later inseparable.

All three of my ferrets have quirks, and Freya was no exception. Digging at the cage bars (an annoying rescue ferret trait), fishing kibble out of the bowls, voted most likely not to use the litterbox... etc.

She was always the first to me at the cage door to greet me. She had a funny habit of clinging to things with her feet as to not fall. A ferret with self-preservation! This meant that she got to come to my work more often than the other two - she would sit in my hoodie or on my shoulder while I puttered and I wouldn't have to worry about her falling. She was super social and a big hit with everyone she met.

She had a toy obsession, a penchant for making noise while playing, and a real flair for having fun. She's left a big hole in my heart.

Some photos:

The day I brought her home.

She was so DARK when she was young. Compare this to later photos.

First bath

Playing with her all-time favourite toy, the Cat Wubba.

She had a special... sproing about her.

My girls. BFFs.

Hanging out at work.

This last pic isn't a flattering one, as it's mid-bounce while playing with Barrett... but it's my last photo of her, taken just a few days before she passed. Happy and healthy, but you can definitely see her age in her coat colour.

Farewell, my baby girl. You were an impulse decision and I've never ever regretted you. Thanks for keeping Porom and Barrett on their toes. They miss you. They keep sleeping under the blanket I found you on, and Barrett has been digging and sniffing relentlessly. You've left a big impact.

Say hi to Palom for me.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I am very sorry for your loss, Allie. Looks like she had a great life with you. Rest in peace, Freya.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Hugs. May she be running free with all our loved ones. Freya was so cute. Remember all the good times you had with her.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Finding her like that is so very sad. I hope she went without pain and in complete peace in her dreams. Run free pretty girl.

Sorry sorry Allie. You take such good care of them and give them wonderful lives. She was a lucky girl.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
I read this on your blog and I just didn't know what to say. I'm so very sorry. :(

Rest well, Freya. You will be missed.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Thanks guys. <3

It's tough on everyone here, and I do mean everyone. Porom and Barrett alternate between moping/sleeping on the blanket I found her on, and sniffing/digging her her in that area. Finnegan has been sleeping during the day in the living room, which he RARELY does, and keeps sniffing around the cage.

This has been Porom and Barrett almost nonstop for the past two days. That's the blanket she was on.

Today I'm in the midst of cleaning/sanitizing the cage and bedding. I'm hoping the loss of her scent will help them move along. They were a trio for just over three years. It's a big change. :(

As for me... it's gotten harder over the past few days. Realizing she's gone when only two little faces greet me at the door. She's left such a big hole.

Members online