How do you bike with your dog?

krissy

I have been jogging with Kili for over a year now and we love it! Off leash on trails, on leash in town. I started thinking how it would be nice to go for longer on a bike. I haven't had one for awhile because my knees do this weird thing... but I digress.

My friend just gave me an old 10-speed today. I have never ridden anything other than a mountain bike, so this thing is different and kind of neat. I have some time before it is biking weather... but I'm wondering... how do you bike with your dogs? How do you attach them? I know logistically I could run her out front pulling, or beside me. I'm leaning toward beside because I'd like to bike to work or on the biking paths, and I'll have better control of her when passing people if she's beside me. Last summer I saw this bike attachment at the pet store. It was a green plastic device with safety features, but I haven't seen it since.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Very carefully :p

I use a WalkyDog, Roxie wears a harness and runs alongside me. I would love to get one of those bay-o-net things for bikejoring, but I fear that she'd end up killing me, lol! She's been biking with the WD ever since she was 2 1/2.

I also, for safety, (especially in more public areas- like when we lived in town... we now live in the country though) I attach a leash to her collar and hold onto that in my hand. It just makes me feel safer, because I can give her corrections if she is focusing too much on wildlife or other animals, but isn't particularly necessary.

Does Kili respond to directional cues- left (gee) right (haw) [at least for us, those are the words... I believe they're backwards though, lol] wooooah (slow down) HO, WAIT, or STOP (stop)and yiff!, yiff!, yiff! means go a lot faster (funny, but it makes her go, lol)? If not, this is something I would begin training while you're still jogging, and then transfer to biking. You will want to have these down before attaching her to your bike.

Either way, good luck! It is a lot of fun :)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
We don't do any super involved, long bike rides. I just hold the leash in my hand and they run next to me. I haven't looked into the attachments but I like holding the leash because I feel like I have more control then, and if something crazy happens and I need them out of the way I can just drop the leash.

I put the leash loop around my wrist and give her about 4 feet of the length. She runs alongside me, sometimes pulling and sometimes just trotting along. I have her wear a harness that clips in the back so that when she does pull it doesn't put pressure on her throat. We do about 7-9 miles of that daily. It works out perfectly for us and I feel like I have a lot of control over her.

I honestly love biking with Fable. It is a great outlet for both of us, and she absolutely loves it. She always gets all excited when I take out her harness.

krissy

We are working on directionals now for jogging (just "left" and "right" because otherwise I'm sure I'll screw it up), and she knows "easy" (slow down) and "go" (straight ahead).

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
Dog in a harness on a bungee leash for shock absorption. I either hold the leash in my hand or loop it over my shoulder depending on the dog/road. Before we moved we had wide slow suburban streets to ride on and I took my roommate's terrier out regularly because he would absolutely fly for a couple of miles. Where we live now the streets are narrow and full of urban traffic and I'm not even sure where we could ride safely.

Snark

Mutts to you
Riley's used to pulling the scooter and that's what he wants to do with the bike, so it makes just holding the leash a pain in the neck. Haven't tried attaching the tugline from the scooter onto the bike but if I do that, I might as well take the scooter.

I just have my dog on a harness with the leash in my hand. She doesn't pull when cycling so it works well for us.

Plus, like others have said, I like having the ability to just drop the leash in a second and completely detach from her, just in case.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
We don't do any super involved, long bike rides. I just hold the leash in my hand and they run next to me. I haven't looked into the attachments but I like holding the leash because I feel like I have more control then, and if something crazy happens and I need them out of the way I can just drop the leash.
This is what I do as well. I also only bike with the dogs in harnesses.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I used to bike the same way until I wanted to exercise multiple dogs at once. Then you need a mush setup. I got the tug n tow for Christmas and I'm super stoked for the snow to clear so we can get out there

Members online

No members online now.