Ideas for long-term fosters/dogsitting?

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
I was just asked for suggestions for someone who will be leaving the country for a year. They have two small dogs that they would like to get back when they return, and apparently don't have family or friends who can take the dogs for them. Any suggestions for what to do with a couple of dogs for a year?

DJEtzel

I would find a dog sitter than has great reviews and meet them like you would for a weekend trip after asking if they do long term boarding.

Or talk to dog friends that dabble in dog sitting, work in a daycare, or something like that.

I boarded a dog in my home for about 6 months while her owner moved across the country a year and a half ago. I charged a monthly rate, not my normal dog sitting per day rate, and required her to pay for the dog food and any necessary vet care + extra stuff like dog park trips and daycare.

Brattina88

I fostered for a semi-similar situation -- Actually, I took in a dog from another chazzer who was in a tight spot, knowing that when they were settled in they wanted her back. I treated her the same as all my other fosters, or a part of the family for that matter. I had her for quite some time, so on the rare occasion I, myself, needed a sitter I had friends or family watch all three of "my" dogs ;)

I didn't charge anything and they shipped me some things for her every so often. :) I liked that. It was hard parting with her.

amberdyan

A friend of mine watched a woman's dog for a year while she was in jail. She didn't have any family willing to watch him, but they were willing to hold on to some money for her and pay monthly, plus dog food and vet bills. I think my friend kept receipts for everything so she could prove what the money went for as well. The woman had posted an "In Search Of" ad on the local Pet Swap and Talk facebook page and my friend answered it. It worked out well for them. They met several times before she took the dog to hammer things out and get to know each other and then created a notarized contract that they both agreed on.

Members online

No members online now.