Daisy eats so quick; any suggestions?

dani12

When we feed Jedi and Daisy we have a stand and they both get a side and it works out great. The only problem is that Daisy eats SO FAST. She just inhales her food and then when she poops it is still food so she likes to eat that too. We pick it up as much as we can but every now and then there is a pile and she eats it. I think if she would chew her food it wouldn't be so appetizing "after the fact". Does anyone have any suggestions to slow her down. She shouldn't feel threatened by Jedi b/c he always finishes after her and they don't go near each others bowls until they are both done. We sprinkled her food on the floor today in handfuls so she had to walk around and eat and that slowed her down but that's not really what I want to have to do every day. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd really suggest feeding them separately and perhaps dampening Daisy's food and let it set and soften a bit so it's not so easy for her to just scarf up.

Eating alone has slowed Shiva down substantially.

skyhigh

I have the same problem with Maddy. She eats her whole bowl of food in a matter of seconds. Last night i scattered her food around her bowl. So she had to go pick each individual biscuit up and eat it. She's still on chewing it. In the mouth and straight to the next one. Sometimes she swallows the buscuit and it comes back up. :eek: Also, letting the food soak in water or chicken broth will make it better for their digestive systems

dani12 said:
I can't say she wouldn't try. She tries to eat everything!! :D
You're not alone on that one. I swear Gunner feels he should be eating 24/7. I may try the ball idea. Now I do feed Gunner 3 to 4 times a day instead of two. The vet said that he was eating to much to quick at one time so that has helped some. He is only 4 months old so he gets about 3 1/2 cups a day which usually isa served in 1/2 intervals. I have heard that labs are one breed that really loves to eat. My vet also told me that when they eat a lot fast at one time, they still feel hungry. Don't know if that helps you or not. My sone timed him once when he was 10 weeks old. He ate over a 1/2 cup of food in 27 seconds. His nickname is now Haus. :D

M

Manchesters

Hhhhhmmmm........my dogs self feed, and none of them scarf food (except for pizza crust, lol.) And none of them are fat. I get a kick out of the ladies....they are very diplomatic. Instead of several of them trying to stick their heads in the food bin, and maybe getting into a squabble, each will grab a mouthful of food, and carry it into the living room. Then it will dump the food on the floor and eat it piece by piece......unless another one comes along and steals a piece or two, lol.

I love your pics. What are the names of the two white ones who are playing so well with each other while sharing the toy? The wipeout one just made me laugh...sorry but it is too funny

M

Manchesters

The Whippets

gunnerzmama said:
I love your pics. What are the names of the two white ones who are playing so well with each other while sharing the toy? The wipeout one just made me laugh...sorry but it is too funny
The two with the Frisbee are Bubbles and Midget, Whippet sisters. They would both chase the Frisbee, and bring it back together just as shown in the picture.....always! Bubbles died a week after hurricane Dennis at 12 1/2. Midget misses her. They were velcro'd to each other all of Bubbles' life.

As far as Wipe Out goes, thank goodness Toy Manchesters are very sturdy little dogs, lol. Like the Timex watch.....they take a licking and keep on kicking, lol.

I'm sorry to hear that. It is soo hard when we lose them. $ years ago when I had to put my 10 yr old black lab Jessie down from bone cancer my cat Boo ate all the hair off of all his legs. He mourned too Now that we have Gunner Boo and our other cat Briggs just give me looks that say, "What the hell were you thinking? Have ya gone mad woman?" lol

dani12

Well we tried to do the ball thing. We actually put two lacrosse balls in Daisy's bowl and she still managed to suck down her food. Next we will try wetting it down which will at least help her digest it a little better.

dani12

Well we watered down Daisy's food (Jedi's too b/c we couldn't leave him out!) and it worked! Jedi actually finished b/4 Daisy. When he finished and looked up, he looked almost surprised that she was still eating and wasn't standing behind him waiting for him to finish!!

Manchesters said:
Hhhhhmmmm........my dogs self feed, and none of them scarf food (except for pizza crust, lol.) And none of them are fat. I get a kick out of the ladies....they are very diplomatic. Instead of several of them trying to stick their heads in the food bin, and maybe getting into a squabble, each will grab a mouthful of food, and carry it into the living room. Then it will dump the food on the floor and eat it piece by piece......unless another one comes along and steals a piece or two, lol.
Bimmer would much rather eat that way, and Kharma is amenable to it - especially since she has a healthy fear of bothering Bimmer's bowl, lol.

BUT . . . nothing is safe or sacred with Shiva around. She will eat EVERYTHING and nothing gets between Shiva and food. ALL the food belongs to Shiva :rolleyes:

bubbatd

I've always added water to my dog's food...really soupy . Slows them down. Never could self feed !!!

akemi_hikari

Duck Toller Queen
I've read somewhere that the reason dogs eat so fast is due to their inherited genes from the wolf and is part of the "pack instinct". Its because they want to eat their food before anyone else can get their hands on it, because if they were in the wild, like wolves, there could be enemies near by just waiting to pounce and steal food.

Members online

No members online now.