How do you get an adult dog to potty inside?

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
So my work hours are gearing up for summer and Ill be away for 11ish hours each workday. Kitty is home all day and holds it for 11 hours, which is scary bad. The roommates both refuse to allow me to hire a dog walker on account of they dont want a stranger in their house, so I bought some potty pads AND a fake grass potty tray thing, neither of which she will touch. I have tried clicking and treating her for investigating them, which leads to (snatch and tug) which is not their intended purpose, and I have even tried urinating on them myself in front of her (i know, sounds gross, but it was a desperate idea). what can I do to make her use them? the roommate suggested we build a box of dirt and grass but then thats basically impossible to sterilize without rigging some kind of complicated false bottom. since day one she has always been really good about her housebreaking and shes stubbornly holding firm to that

halp!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Why is 11 hours bad, if she'll hold it? Cynder often chooses to only go out twice a day even when I am home. Yes, you need to be more watchful of urinary habits and water intake...but my dogs routinely hold it for 10-11 hours on my work days and they're just fine.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
So set her up in an xpen with a pee pad. If she uses it, great, if not, that's her problem.

k9krazee

So....did you pee on the pee pads or in the grass box? I can't imagine the clean up involved in that! Plus, you probably traumatized the dog and now she'll NEVER use them! :yikes: :lol-sign:

That's literally one of the grossest, funniest things I've heard in a long time. Some things shouldn't be shared. Just because my dog watches me pee in the toilet doesn't mean he is going to start using it. ;)

k9krazee

As we were potty training our pup this winter there were a few REALLY cold days that he popped in the house and when people would ask how it was going with the pup my husband would say, "It's my fault he pooped in the house, it's been too cold for me to go out and show him how to do it!"

He was obviously joking and I hope you were too...

DJEtzel

Yeah... I leave the house at 6:30am four mornings a week. I get home between 5 and 5:30pm in the evening. 10-11 hours that they all hold it just fine, including my 5 month old puppy.

Recon is injured, so he has been going outside under my watch in the front yard so that he can't interact with the rest of the dogs, and I have noticed his bathroom habits are much different than I expected. He poops once every other day, and pees just two times a day, on regular days when they aren't out doing things. So he will frequently pee for the last time at 5-6 pm and hold it until I get up - which on the weekends could be 10am-noon. :yikes: THAT bothers me a bit, but I give him the option of going and he just, doesn't. I've considered waking up early to let him out, but honestly, I love my sleep and he doesn't seem bothered- when I let him out of his crate in the morning he goes to get toys and play first, or go to the food bin. He's not even worried about going out.

I would honestly not be concerned about it at all if you don't see any health effects, and be grateful that you have a dog that is house trained so well! :)

Members online

No members online now.