Reversing household rules

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
The dining table has never been off limits really. In the past it was a very cheap dining set I had bought. In 2012ish I was given a dining set that is much nicer. I didn't really spend time in my kitchen in my old house because of the house layout but I do spend a lot of time in the kitchen/dining area now.

Basically: Mia and Summer both get on top of the dining table. They like to sleep up there.

It wasn't really a PROBLEM until Hank and now I have found some scratches on the table. So I have decided the table is a dog free zone.

The problem? Mia does not seem to get that the dining table is not allowed any more. I don't mind her sitting in the chairs but I don't want her on top of it. Hank has gotten it easily but didn't have the history with it because I have never let him on there (too heavy and too prone to scratching it up). Summer is better but occasionally still tries to climb it.

Mia is just convinced the dining table is her spot though. I correct her when she's on the table but it does not seem to be helping at all. She still climbs up there.

Ideas? Has anyone gone through something similar where they decide no dogs on furniture, etc?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I was even thinking about pulling all the chairs away from the table but the one I sit in. At least for a while.

Maxy24

I think the best first step is to make it impossible to get up there. Move the chairs. This will essentially break the habit, they will have to learn a new place to rest and build new habits to replace laying on the table (make sure they do have other places to lay that they love just as much). After a few weeks the urge to climb up there should be reduced significantly. Then you can put the chairs back when you are there to supervise and can immediately correct/redirect when they look interested. It should work better this time around because the urge to go there will not be as strong after they have been unable to go there for a while.

Elrohwen

Growing up we had an older couch, so dogs were allowed on the furniture. Our male never really cared, but our female spent all of her time curled up on the couch. When she was about 5, we got a new couch and my mom decided she wanted the new couch to stay clean, so no dogs allowed.

Cindy got the idea very quickly. She was always a "good dog" and learned house manners quickly. But when we were gone, she was all over that couch. We started flipping up the cushions when we left, but she would sneak into any tiny little spot left on the couch and we caught her there plenty of times. She totally understood that she wasn't allowed on the couch when we were around, but she had no idea that included when we weren't around. And this is from a dog who never did anything to displease us in her entire life, so if she understood I think she would have stayed off. Unlike dogs like Watson, who misbehaves just to annoy me. lol

So no good advice. IME it's kind of futile to keep them from doing it when you're not around. I agree that your best bet is pulling the chairs out, at least when you're not home to supervise and keep her off.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
If you're not there to enforce it - it's best to not give them the opportunity to do so. So I would just get in the habit of pulling out the chairs flipping them upside down and resting them on the table. This will prevent flailing - well if I just jump hard enough injuries.

I would also encourage a different spot to rest during the day. Like a elevated bed in the corner or something.

Members online

No members online now.