Agility training

DJEtzel

DJEtzel, do you have the 2x2 DVD? There is a section on there about how to improve footwork with the 2x2s.
*I* don't any longer (had it through bowwowflix) but I think Willy does... I'll have to ask him. It's possible he told me last week how to specifically improve footwork using them, too, and I just didn't understand/get it... because that whole concept is really confusing to me for some reason!

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
I struggled to control Buzz in a trial setting for a long time. What ended up working for us was literally doing 1-3 obstacles, in control, and then leaving to eat GREAT WONDERFUL BEST COOKIES EVER that someone was holding just outside the ring. I also did a lot of work on "leashing up" so he knew what to expect at the end. I know you've done a lot of different things with Penn, but I thought I'd throw out there what worked for me. I still never confidently ran him at outdoor trials, so I just stopped doing that.
Oddly, the command nose is to put her slip lead on and she loves that 'trick'.. when she stresses out on me at a trial, she literally cannot think. Come, sit, stay, nose, target all evaporate :( I am sure a more proficient trainer could work through it much faster than I can& that's part of my frustration. I'm failing my dog in a trial setting more than she is failing me. I know that but I can't figure out the magical trick. It sucks.

I will work over the next few days to build some value into putting on/ taking off leash& see if we can get anywhere with it!

krissy

Yay! Kili had an awesome training day yesterday (much quieter, fewer distractions than last week when it was so busy) and then today we were practicing 2x2s in the backyard when my downstairs neighbour let his dog out into the yard. And she was actually able to do her weave poles with her bestest friend ever running around the yard (and then her reward was getting to taunt Callie with her amazing tug toy). I was really impressed. I mean, she wasn't uber focused, but come on! She did weave poles instead of playing with her friend! In KiliLand that is HUGE!

Just signed Cricket and Newton up for a CPE trial in May! Our first one in quite a while so we'll see how it goes (I'm sure if anyone is rusty it'll be me, Cricket knows what she's doing).

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
The teeter isn't really something that you'll be able to master in a month. Introduce it properly and your dog should be just fine with it. Rush it and you could really poison it.

Other than that, do it and have some fun!
Oh no, we weren't in any hurry to be in competition or anything like that :) I was just thinking of taking classes as a fun thing to do with her and a bonding oppertunity :)

DJEtzel, do you have the 2x2 DVD? There is a section on there about how to improve footwork with the 2x2s.
*I* don't any longer (had it through bowwowflix) but I think Willy does... I'll have to ask him. It's possible he told me last week how to specifically improve footwork using them, too, and I just didn't understand/get it... because that whole concept is really confusing to me for some reason!
I'll have to check the DVD again. I don't recall a section on working footwork with 2x2s. Personally, I don't find 2x2s particularly great a teaching footwork. I like to use 2x2s to train entries and the general concept of weaving. I then like using channels for speed, and finally weave-a-matics for footwork. I suspect it depends for each dog though...

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I'll have to check the DVD again. I don't recall a section on working footwork with 2x2s. Personally, I don't find 2x2s particularly great a teaching footwork. I like to use 2x2s to train entries and the general concept of weaving. I then like using channels for speed, and finally weave-a-matics for footwork. I suspect it depends for each dog though...
There's a long section toward the end. Involves running a rope through the 2x2s and rotating the weaves open just barely to touch the rope, then pulling the rope out, something like that?

DJEtzel

There's a long section toward the end. Involves running a rope through the 2x2s and rotating the weaves open just barely to touch the rope, then pulling the rope out, something like that?
This sounds familiar... Either my agility trainer or Willy mentioned this.

It sounds like a pain in the ass!:rofl1:

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator

I totally agree actually LOL. Watching her do it I'm like "oh God... really??" I think I have seen somebody else say she just opens them very very very slightly without having to set the rope up and that's how she works on it, achieves the same effect. But there's probably an element of having an eye for how open is the proper amount to address footwork, and that's why SG has the rope involved - because the rope is a physical barrier that forces them open the "correct" amount. I would guess after you know what you're doing you can just set it up that way without the rope. =P

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
She basically twists them just enough that they are effectively barely-open channels. The rope is, IMO, mostly so people actually have a channel down the middle instead of rotating each set of two a little differently.

DJEtzel

I totally agree actually LOL. Watching her do it I'm like "oh God... really??" I think I have seen somebody else say she just opens them very very very slightly without having to set the rope up and that's how she works on it, achieves the same effect. But there's probably an element of having an eye for how open is the proper amount to address footwork, and that's why SG has the rope involved - because the rope is a physical barrier that forces them open the "correct" amount. I would guess after you know what you're doing you can just set it up that way without the rope. =P
She basically twists them just enough that they are effectively barely-open channels. The rope is, IMO, mostly so people actually have a channel down the middle instead of rotating each set of two a little differently.
Well that makes sense!

So it's really the channel that is doing it, which would be just as easy to do with channel weaves, right? XD Thanks to this cool cat, I have channels, 2x2s and WAMs all at my disposal in my driveway. :p

Yes, sounds like a serious PITA!! No thanks. This is the rope method that I had mentioned. The goal is to teach the dog to keep his head down. Also, keeping the head down might help the footwork, but ultimately, I think it's to keep the head down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj-qf5felNE

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Harleigh's second agility class was on Monday... and I got a couple videos this time! Even if they are terrible quality :p

As you can see, she needs some work but not too bad for such a long hiatus I think. She is definitely enjoying herself!

[YOUTUBE]derK8H0vHx0[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]rrI5kE7k16Q[/YOUTUBE]

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well 2 days of rest and Summer is 100% again..... so.... tentatively still going. I think she bruised herself in her fall.

DJEtzel

Yes, sounds like a serious PITA!! No thanks. This is the rope method that I had mentioned. The goal is to teach the dog to keep his head down. Also, keeping the head down might help the footwork, but ultimately, I think it's to keep the head down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj-qf5felNE
That... Is interesting.

I'll give it a shot with Recon tonight and see if I don't strangle him (accidentally!) in the process.

Members online