having a puppy in an apt.

luvmydogs

it came across my mind today. i love to walk phoenix in the big field, let him run off leash until he gets tired. he also lets me know when he has to go out.he barks. sometimes i even ask him if he wants to get out, and he understands...he barks.in a certain tone where i can tell the difference between barkings, whereas my husband wouldnt. anyways.....i never had a puppy that had to be potty trained. isnt it hard for someone who lives in an apt. lets say on the 12th floor, to keep a puppy??? how will they ever learn to go out to pee? i feel like by the time u even get to the elevator its too late..

Y

yuckaduck

Carry puppy in your arms and it will hold it until you get outside. We have horrible stairs here and it is a walk to the field here to so I use to carry Yukon. Now he is 5 months old and 50 pounds so no way can I carry him now but he makes the walk fine now.

Adrienne

I think a lot of people who have dogs in apartments like that have little dogs and the trend now is to litter box train them like a cat. That's what I have been hearing. It sure would be hard to train them when you have to be so quick about getting them out when they gotta go.

luvmydogs

yuckaduck said:
Carry puppy in your arms and it will hold it until you get outside. We have horrible stairs here and it is a walk to the field here to so I use to carry Yukon. Now he is 5 months old and 50 pounds so no way can I carry him now but he makes the walk fine now.

oh i dont live in an apt/i was just wondering,. we have a (military)house and theres nothing but woods and fields in the back, i just cant imagine living in an apt.and have a pup at the same time.

Y

yuckaduck

We live over a grocery store with a german shepherd pup and it can be difficult at times but we make sure he gets loads of exercise. I also have a turn out area that is fenced in and he goes there to play with the neighbours pup. If he didn't have the ability to play outside and burn off energy it would never ever work.

One of my friends had that problem....

Actually, one of my friends lived on the third floor of an apartment complex, and he had a male dog (can't remember what mix) named Kevin. Anyway, Kevin was so smart, so Gibson (the owner) taught him to bark when he needed to go out. Then Gibson would toss a tennis ball out over the balcony into a large grassy field nearby. Kevin would go out the door, down three flights of steps, get the ball, go to the bathroom while he was out, then come back up. I know that this was a unique situation, because everyone in the complex knew Kevin and Gibson knew that he was safe by watching him whenever he went out. This post just kind of reminded me of that, and I couldn't help myself!

Raika's Mom

Iggy and Kitty Mom
That is a SMART dog! I'd worry too much to do that. I live in half of a big old house, so Raika has plenty of room to run in the house, but I can't imagine having her in my old apartment let alone potty training her there! I'd guess a lot of people use potty pads and litter boxes.

Members online

No members online now.