....whoa...

keyodie

Keyozilla
I'm sorry you can't get a dog...or you choose not to, that is a good choice! I know how much you want a dog. I think your actions are very reasonable. :) I would just like to say that you should still have a dog that you can visit most of the time when you want to, so you can still have a dog in your life. I think volunteering will be a great idea. By the way, do you have a neighbor or someone that lives close to you that has a dog?

Richie12345

Great news!! I have actually talked and had a serious conversation with my parents!!! My mom understood and said that she will give my future dog attention and love... I still have to work on my dad, but atleast it's progress!!! I'm so happy right now!!! Stirder gave me support to actually talk to them about it... I told them I shouldn't get a dog if we aren't gonna give it much attention, even though I really wanted one... and we had a little argument but it worked out... I take back what I said, EVERYTHING! The future looks good :cool:

Richie, you would make a great pet sitter but as a "Professional" Pet Sitter myself, I can tell you that at your young age, you probably won't get much business unless it's from friends and neighbors. Seriously, I am bonded and insured and people are still nervous about having me (a stranger) coming into their homes, until they get to know me.
I used to work in a kennel too and I know that the owner has hired someone as young as 13 so you may want to look into it. They probably wouldn't just let you volunteer because there is a liability issue. The same is probably true for shelters, but I'm not sure.
I'm sorry your parents are so primitive in their ways of thinking that it's "just a dog" because I sense that you REALLY want one. For sure, though, a Pit Bull would definately be the wrong breed to start with in your situation.
Is there any way you could take full responsibility for a dog? Lots of people work 10 hours a day and still have time for their dogs. Could you lay down some rules for your parents? I think any dog would be lucky to have you as its' owner/companion and I hope you find a way to get one and make it all work out. I've had dogs all of my life and can't imagine life without one.
You've said you've decided to wait....but I can sense how sad you are...and disapointed...

Pam

luvmydogs

as far as ure dad goes...my husband seemed the same way. always saying "hes just a dog" and stuff like that, and he never really cared much about dogs. but i catch him a lot playing with my dog,and then when i catch him he plays it off. as if he hates dogs. idiot.lol the reason your father may dislike dogs could be for example, when he was young he had a dog he really loved, and the dog may have been put to sleep, and really broke his heart. my dad never wanted a dog for that reason, and now that i lost my cujo, i understand why....

Fran27

True. Lots of people don't particularly care for dogs because they just don't know them. I'm the one who wanted a dog, my husband didn't care much for it, but he loves them now. Well except when they're naughty, then they are 'my' dogs, but well...

S

stirder

thats awesome!!! youd be amazed at how much your dad will come around, considering your mom is willing to love the dog. she wont let him not love it, and he'll see how much you and your mom love the dog and how happy it makes you and he will start to like it too.

showpug

Maybe....have your Dad help in the decision making progress a lot. When you look at possible dogs to adopt, ask him what he thinks, who he likes, and what dog HE thinks would be best. If he feels involved and not bi-passed, he may feel more of a conection to the dog and be more open to opening his heart once the dog moves in! When people are made to feel important and like their ideas matter, then they are usually more receptive and accepting. Now, I am NOT saying that you have not done the above, but sometimes a little extra effort goes a LONG way!! Good luck, I know you will find the perfect dog.

Members online

No members online now.