Down to the Wire

The day is here. I've been putting off thinking about it, but it's finally happened. The litter I was originally on the waiting list for was born last night. Lots of boys. I have to let the breeder know if I"m still interested in one.

But there's Glitch. Glitch who I should have never gone to pick up of Craigslist (If he had actually been a Bella, I would have never considered keeping her.). Glitch who is possibly part devil. Glitch who is currently napping on my shoulder.

I love this puppy. Other then his slight SA, there is nothing about him I would change. He is smart, outgoing, and always up for an adventure.

But I've been hoping for this breeding forever. I love this breeders dogs, and this pup will get the absolute best start that Glitch didn't.

I don't know what to do. I keep asking myself what I expect this puppy to be that Glitch isn't, and there isn't really anything. Whippets are a healthy breed, so I'm not too concerned about huge health issues down the road.

I know I can find Glitch a wonderful home with very little effort. But I just have this nagging voice telling me that if I do, I'll always regret it.

Ug, someone make this choice for me, please?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
If Glitch is the dog you've wanted and there isn't anything about him that is a poor fit...I'd pass on the litter, even if it is what you've been waiting for. Because, aside from the lines, it sounds like Glitch is also what you've been waiting for. And, just because the breeding is sound, that doesn't mean a puppy will be what you've always wanted.

My opinion. ;)

Slick

Kristina
Honestly, Glitch sounds perfect for you, and if you are completely happy with him, I would stay with him. It's the old adage "A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush". Why go with something that MIGHT be great, if you already have something that is great.

That being said, I recently saw you post that Glitch has a shoulder problem. Is this something that will be permanently a problem?
If so, that is the one thing that would cause me to maybe think a physically sound puppy from this breeder might be a better idea.

If his shoulder is no problem, and/or you don't really care if you don't do competition with him, then I think Glitch is the obvious choice.

Just my opinion

JessLough

Love My Mutt
That being said, I recently saw you post that Glitch has a shoulder problem. Is this something that will be permanently a problem?
If so, that is the one thing that would cause me to maybe think a physically sound puppy from this breeder might be a better idea.

If his shoulder is no problem, and/or you don't really care if you don't do competition with him, then I think Glitch is the obvious choice.

Just my opinion
This was my first thought.

You really wanted an agility prospect, correct? I'd be really hesitant to do high impact sports such as agility with a dog with a bum shoulder. At least, to the point where you're actively competeing at higher levels.

That said, if that's not a huge deal for you, it may not be an issue.

Grab

The shoulder issue would be my concern, if agility is something you want to do.

Otherwise, I don't think you could go wrong with either

What's the worst outcome, and which do you regret more?

If you keep Glitch, and it turns out he can't compete in agility, and you see those Whippet puppies getting MACHs, how much do you regret not being one of them?

If you get a Whippet and you achieve all your wildest hopes and dreams, and you know Glitch is in a great home, do you still regret he's not in yours?

Everyone brings up good points. The vet did not feel that Glitch's shoulder will be a long term problem. He wants to take additional Xrays in 2 weeks, after rest and anti-inflammatories, but he is not terribly concerned. The spot on the Xray was quite small.

That is really my only concern. Tempermentally, I don't think I could do much better, even if a pup from this new litter was the literal Second Coming.

I guess I just need to decide if I can live without him or not.

Locke

If it's the litter I think it is, you have a REALLY tough decision.

If I were in your position, I would get the puppy. You've given Glitch an awesome head start so he can succeed in his new home. Win win!

Glitch and Hailey overlapped by two weeks, and it didn't take 2 hours before I was burned out on two puppies! Anyone who can do it has my total respect, because it was crazy.

I got so worked up about this that I had a terrible nightmare last night about losing Glitch. Which might be the answer right there.

To top it all off, Glitch wiped out trying to run up the steps in the rain and scraped the heck out of his little belly and one inner thigh. He screamed loud enough to wake the entire neighborhood at 6:30. Sorry neighbors!

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
Glitch and Hailey overlapped by two weeks, and it didn't take 2 hours before I was burned out on two puppies! Anyone who can do it has my total respect, because it was crazy.

I got so worked up about this that I had a terrible nightmare last night about losing Glitch. Which might be the answer right there.

To top it all off, Glitch wiped out trying to run up the steps in the rain and scraped the heck out of his little belly and one inner thigh. He screamed loud enough to wake the entire neighborhood at 6:30. Sorry neighbors!
but glitch is older now and by the time puppy comes around he will be even more mature. so it wont be "two puppies at once" itll be a teenager and a puppy

joce

I'd keep glitch.

There will always be another puppy, not that puppy, but another puppy.

I would not do two young dogs for many reasons. I would have and did years ago but I didn't work then and could handle the brainlessness. Would be hard in an apartment. And when they get old at once bills pile up. It was hard mentally on me. Lost everyone around the same time.

I get wanting to do somethig like agility or show but when you get attached what can you do? If it was as easy as puppy is here I have to place this dog it wouldn't be a question. I had really wanted to show this time around with my guy but he had a bad ear injury so next time. He's a great dog. I can wait.

milos_mommy

I would consider keeping both, particularly since Glitch is a bit older now.

I'd also consider the breeding...will the same breeding happen again? Are their other dogs of this breeders you like nearly as much? If this is going to be the parent's last litter, it might sway me.

I think, personally, I'd probably keep Glitch. You love him and have already put in so much work with him! It'll be disappointing if you can't take another pup from the litter you've been waiting for, but will giving Glitch up be worth one of those pups??

Members online

No members online now.