Favorite Small Dog Collars

I seem to remember quite often the small dog owners of this board getting rid of collars because they were too heavy or whatnot.

So, I ask you guys, who makes your favorite collars for smaller dogs?

Any suggestions?

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Tango won't wear collars. I got him a variety of them and he hates them, constantly itches at them until he's raw or in the case of his kangaroo leather one, chewed it to pieces.

That said, what kind of collar are you looking for?

I really liked Tango's tag collar from Braidaroo. He's in harnesses now, Puppia is great for toy breeds, I also got a XXS Webmaster from Ruff Wear that I love for hiking with him.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mine wear harnesses mostly. For collars cheap nylon is best I find. They do have karma collars but they're just bulky for toy dogs. I think California collar co has toy dog specific collars but I never bought any.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
I think it's really only an issue with tiny toys. I just got Ru a pretty collar by Ruff Puppies, and while it doesn't look too big, it has worn all the hair off his neck. I never walk him on a collar.

Hotdogs All Dressed makes some super soft suede ones with little embellishments. We have a couple of those that I love.

Ru's Braidaroo tag collar has not arrived yet, I will let you know how we like it when it arrives.

I'm looking for a nicer collar that doesn't cost a fortune. I like leather but honestly as long as it doesn't have a plastic buckle I'm good. I can not deal with plastic buckles, I have an unnatural hate for them!

It's a Chinese Crested I'm looking for so not teeny small but pretty small.

I knew you guys were going to say harness, which I guess I'll have to suck up and buy one. I'm not a big harness person but for a smaller dog it makes sense.

So, add harness recs onto my post!

Thanks for your guys help so far!

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Bruce has a braided kangaroo leather tag collar that he wears 24/7 and seems to work really well for him.

He also has a Karma collar that he wears when we go out. I love it, but it's wide and smushes his hair so it's just for when he needs to wear a leash.

BostonBanker

After not liking the 'regular' Paco I got for Meg because of the weight, I have to say that I really like the weight/feel of the Gnome that I got for Gusto. It is made with their lightweight leather and, if I could have measured him correctly so it was the right size, would have been exactly what I wanted.

Giny

I use step in harness for CeCe but also keep a soft collar on her during the day for her id tag. I ordered it through eBay from someone who makes them. She has a multitude of different colors/patterns for a very affordable price. I think I payed 10 dollars, that also includes taxes. I'm planing on ordering more from her.

JacksonsMom

I'm more picky about buckles than width. Jackson's also a 'bigger' small dog - not teeny tiny. Like I love CollarMania's plastic snap buckles. I do 3/4" collars on him from there, but he could likely pull off a 1" tag collar. But their buckles are somewhat curved and not just... straight if that makes sense so they never look too big on his neck.

With leather, I always taper to 1/2". I wasn't a fan of Ella's Lead collars on him because thick d-rings, thicker leather and wider-ish buckles IMO. I love Paco and Karma's collars on him the best for sure.

1" tapered to 1/2" karma:

3/4" tapered to 1/2" paco:

3/4" all around collarmania:

He's like 18lbs, 19" girth, 12" neck.

I am a huge fan of harnesses too though. I can't imagine walking him on a collar now, tbh. He always walks so awkward on one anyway, I always feel like I am choking him- he doesn't really ever pull, but I still do. Also super easy to 'helicopter' him up into my arms when necessary. I like difference harnesses for different reasons though, but I'm also just obsessed with buying dog gear :rolleyes::D I usually end up using the Puppia harness for every day general usage.

Grab

Well I have two smalls (Julian's neck size is 10 or so ", Nog's is 9") and one tiny (Newt is like 7 or 8") I love my Pacos. They're all tapered. None are too heavy, even for tiny Newt (she's 4 lbs..). Newt also has an itty bitty leather collar from Custom Canine Creations, but I'm not sure if she's making collars anymore. But, it's lightweight and very well made. I do have a hard time finding fabric collars that I don't find to be too wide, so I usually stick with leather for everyone. (unless I pick up a holiday collar or something that they'll be wearing sparingly).

Jules has also had a tag collar from Braidaroo that was great. But I always enjoy her work, for all sizes of dogs. His was lost in a horrid septic tank incident though :(

DenoLo

I've got a tiny, and I just use harnesses. The collars just seem like a lot of pressure on small necks. I like puppia but they're a little warm for the summer, so i'm on the lookout for one too.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
My favorite harness for my bitty dog is a single paracord step-in by Midnight Pet. It does have a plastic buckle, but there is nothing lighter out there. It goes particularly well over clothes.

Here's my blog post about it, with more pictures.
Christ, it must be nice to know that just a bit of paracord string and a buckle can hold your dog, lol. I wish something like that could work for Roxie, cuz a minimalist harness would look awesome on her.

Thanks again everyone!! I'm looking up all your suggestions.

I don't mind plastic buckle collars on harnesses, just for the record. I just loath them on collars.

Pinkspore, I really like the look of that harness! Mainly probably because I dislike harnesses so I like how minimal it is. Does it not rub bad at all? It looks like it's so thin that it almost would be too thin, especially on the chest.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
Nope, no rubbing at all. He has very sensitive skin and loses hair really easily, and this harness doesn't leave any marks on him even after an all-day hike. It also doesn't slide to the side all the time, which is something I hate about a lot of step-ins. It's pretty awesome, and he's light enough that the narrow cord.doesn't hurt him when I pick him up by his leash.

back when I was on a Crested frenzy it seemed like most people used silk collars on them.

Boo, now I want a Crested badly again. We need more pics!!!

DenoLo

That para cord harness looks awesome!! I was looking for something lighter for the summer anyways, so ordering one for the munchkin dog.

Members online