Home made Dog Shampoo

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
So I and the husband have been using homemade shampoo for well over a year now. I have been thrilled with the results.

The recipe we use for us utilizes Castile Soap and is followed up with a nice citrus rinse as a conditioner.

That got me to thinking I would like to try something similar for the dogs. Have any of you ever tried it?

Suggestions, recipes, opinions would all be welcome.

emc

Sounds interesting. I would be willing to try a homemade shampoo on my dog. She's always scratching.

amberdyan

Hugo is bathed pretty infrequently- normally just sprayed off if he's muddy/dirty. He just hardly ever smells. The few times we have bathed him, we've used unscented castile soup (Dr. Bronner's) marketed for babies. Seemed to work great.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
I did some research on dog safe essential oils to add.

With Menchi being a Shar Pei skin care is a concern for her. While she has been a pretty healthy Pei she does have the sensitive skin. She has had the occasional skin infection, and her system responds to insults (insect stings, scratches, exposure to allergens) with serious skin redness, itchiness, and swelling.

So the oils I selected are for skin health, and anti-inflammatory.

I will use the castile soap, purified water, organic apple cider vinegar, and oils to make a shampoo. I will let you guys posted on how it works. I will of course do a small skin test on the dogs with each oil before using it on them.

Members online

No members online now.