Urgent Dogs - Do you crosspost?

Do you crosspost urgent dogs on FB?

• Yes

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • I'm hungry, but it's too late to eat anything...

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters

Michiyo-Fir

I dont. Not because I don't care about the shelter/rescue/urgent dogs, but because most of the people on my facebook are not pet people, let alone dog people. And to be honest, I'm pretty sure only a few of those people would care at all or even bother to read the post. More people would just end up telling me that I'm spamming their newsfeed. For that reason, I don't really post about my dog very much either.

Actually, in general, I don't post on FB very much...

Aleron

For me it depends. I will crosspost dogs who look like dogs people I know (or people they know) would be interested in. Usually dogs who might have sport potential. I have friends who crosspost a lot, mostly people who volunteer at the pound or shelter. I really can't blame them for trying to get the word out about the dogs they know looking for a home. Occasionally one will catch my eye and I'll crosspost or tell someone I know had been looking. If I see a purebred I know a rescue person for, I will send the dog to that person. Or email the rescue. I know for sure that I have gotten some dogs into better situations doing that.

I will say though, if I wasn't friends with crossposters I may have never found Emily's Blossom. And she was what several of you have labeled a hopeless case - a dog who was showing aggression at the shelter, who was "cage crazy" after just a week of being there. Luckily, the local rescue that works with the pound gave her a chance. Took her out of her cage, took pictures of her and interacted with her to see she wasn't such a bad dog. That rescue group does share updates on pound dogs when people send them, so the dogs aren't just out and forgotten.

That said, I do think there are people who over do the crossposting thing. Like crossposting every dog in this state and the five states closest to this state every day, morning to night. Just tons and tons and tons of dogs, I think most people tend to stop looking at a point.

crazedACD

:confused: I think you both must be confused by what this thread is about, maybe I didn't word it properly or something. I am specifically referring to the "urgent" dogs that are posted with "THIS DOG WILL DIE IN 24 HOURS IF SOMEONE, ANYONE AT ALL, DOESN'T ADOPT IT!!!!!" When someone decides they want a dog, goes to a shelter, gets to know a dog and learns about it's temperament, etc. then decides to adopt it, that is a very different thing from someone (who may not have even wanted a dog and may not be a very good dog owner) seeing a FB post saying that a dog is going to die and deciding spur of the moment to "save" said dog. Sure it could work out ok, but it can turn into a really bad situation for dog and adopter. I am not some evil dog killer who thinks no one should try and rescue dogs. I am someone who is trying to be realistic and responsible about the kind of rescuing I promote.
I'll be back to this thread when I shouldn't have already left for work :D but there are a ton of people up here who are getting dogs 'from the south'. Committed to the adoption, they pay for them to hitch a ride up here. If it doesn't work out and they try to rehome they get branded with being awful owners. It doesn't always work out. Thankfully some of the shelters are pulling dogs from the south and allowing people to come and interact with them first.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
TBH, if a dog is labelled in all caps or with threats ("you're a horrible person if you don't share this dog"), I'm VERY unlikely to repost it. If it's a dog I wish I could foster or adopt, or I'm local and can help with transport, pulling, evals, etc. I'm more likely to crosspost.

It's all too easy to overwhelm yourself with all the dogs that need homes that you *can't* help, why make it even worse by seeking out these stories?

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Sizzle, I know it wasn't enough for you but it was enough for Katie and better than the alternative. She was truly blessed you took a chance and took her in.

Sometimes that is all I hope for, a step out of the concrete floors, the feeling of peace, the knowledge that someone is emotionally invested. After that if a home comes along, lotto! But with seniors (which are my personal plight) we owe them enough to try, which you did.

I'm not telling anyone to cross post, god knows I sparsely do it, but I have seen it work a lot and for me it is worthwhile.

As for urgent ones I only ever see NYS urgent dogs which I have no contacts there, or LA which I have reposted in hopes someone in LV can work a miracle, again.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
But I was NOT talking about THAT situation.
Again. This post and poll was specifically about the "URGENT 24 HOURS TO LIVE" dogs, hence the name "Urgent Dogs - Do you crosspost?" This is not about sharing a dog in the local shelter who has a decent bio and you have a good idea of the dog's temperament. My comment "Because you can't save them all and sometimes "a home, any home" is a worse fate than being PTS." was in response to picklepaige's post saying "why wouldn't you share." I do not share most urgents because I know NOTHING about them. The little information that the shelter writes about them is often vague and sometimes untruthful because people will do anything to get this dog out of the shelter (anything short of actually adopting the dog). Look at the story Sizzle described, that's exactly what I'm talking about. And, yes, I have been called an evil dog killer by AR nuts who tend to share all of the urgent dogs that they see without reading the bio at all.

If I see a dog that I think someone in my friendslist would like, if I see a dog that a friend has personally met or evaluated, if I see a dog that really speaks to me, I will share, but I will not share every urgent dog just to get them out of the shelter.

P.S. That dog I mentioned earlier now has over 3,000 shares and over $2,000 pledged to him.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Look at the story Sizzle described, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

P.S. That dog I mentioned earlier now has over 3,000 shares and over $2,000 pledged to him.
What about the saving of Katie was wrong? Truly, would you rather the dog not know Sizzles care at the end of her life? Would you rather she had lived in a stressful kennel until being PTS? I truly don't see that as a cautionary tale. I see it as heart wrenching and frustrating for Sizzle, the foster home, but that comes with the territory and it is a reason we should never forget what foster homes do for animals. I have had some fosters who broke my heart and it will never fully heal, the truth is though I can hope that the time I gave those dogs was the better alternative.

I know Sizzle is a fantastic person and foster home, Katie truly was blessed.

Looks like I'm getting a foster who was urgent and shared on my wall.. :rolleyes:
Thank you for taking a chance, even if the dog turns out to be a rotten man eater that nobody wants I am sure glad it's getting a chance.

Airn

I work with shelters and rescues a lot. I love helping animals. I do not think I can help an animal that is not local. I can't afford to pledge money and very few people go through Arkansas.

Personally, I'd rather save dogs I like, breeds I like or local dogs. There are always dogs about to be PTS. I like to save dogs that I believe have a decent chance.

I agree with CatSina. I'm not against helping dogs. I'm not really against helping 'problem' dogs. But a 'problem' dog across the country being PTS tomorrow due to 'complicated' circumstances? Not my thing. I'll continue 'sharing' local dogs who need fosters or are up for adoption. If it's urgent, it depends on the dog. Most of my FB friends aren't able to take on a DA pit bull or a SA Yorkie.

And I wouldn't want them to. I've been to several adoption events where the animals were 'free' or had been there for quite a few months. People that could probably not handle ANOTHER animal, were the first to offer to take the animal. I appreciate people wanting to help, but when you have mobility issues, live off of your SS check and already have 10 animals you have a hard time caring for.... No. I don't want you to take this scared Chi. I don't like charity cases, really. You should want a dog because you want it. And you love that dog. Not because it has a ton of issues and will probably be PTS.

If you feel differently, awesome. Go do it. But you shouldn't judge others for not wanting to. (General you. Not pointing a finger at anyone here.)

Fosters are a bit different, though.

Occasionally I will share/crosspost lost dogs if it is an area where I know enough people to reasonably be helpful. But not every one I come across. ETA: And not generally urgent rescues.

joce

Local dogs I do. why not? Fairly rare that its going to be a 24 hr or less dog though. There was a we are full day recently though.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
What about the saving of Katie was wrong?
I'm talking about the fact that everyone disappears. All these people who share and crosspost and beg for mercy, don't care anymore once the dog is "out." No one cared to help her find a forever home because there was no longer a needle hovering over her head. Most people share these dogs out of a sense of urgency rather than actually caring about the dogs. Obviously, you are different because I'm sure you would continue to share the dog after s/he was in a foster home in hopes that s/he would get a forever home. I know that you care about the dogs deeply. I share dogs that I care deeply about, as well. If there is a SBT in a shelter, I share it either on my page or on the SBTCA's page (or both). Two of the dogs I shared (others shared them, as well) were pulled by SBTCA and one of them has a loving forever home. That feels good. I didn't do it out of a sense of "OMG THIS DOG IS GOING TO DIE IF I DON'T SHARE IS WITH EVERYONE!1!!!" I did it because I care about the dogs. IMO, that is what's important. Making sure that you are sharing the right dogs for the right reasons.

Airn said it so much better than I did...

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Actually my goal with sharing is to get them out. The goal of that step is expanding that chance of survival. Once out of the shelter or off death row the mission is not over but that first step is. Not everyone knows where that dog went but to say they were useless is incorrect. The mutual friend who pointed Shamoo out off CL, as a last ditch effort, has no idea where she went but she assisted in saving her life. Not all parts are big but all matter in the grand scheme. Not all stories end the way we want but it shouldn't jade those from trying forever.

The point is just because you choose not to assist in the same way doesn't mean those who do are doing anything wrong, they're just trying the only way they know how.

Red Chrome

I recently have shared some dogs on FB. One of them is a very special dog with a lot of history in the APBT world(mainly with a group of breeders). This dog has a place to go. The other one I shared is a 12 year old APBT that looks like hell and has a genetic condition which will cause him to deteriorate fairly quickly from what I've heard and read. I am trying to figure out how I can foster him, because he is dog aggressive and a senior. If he could ignore the others so he could be in an exercise pen it'd be awesome but I have my doubts. He is only aggressive with other males which will make it easier. I am trying to figure out how I can make it work at my house without it affecting Judge too much.

I don't share often but the ones I do share, I feel are very worth sharing. Either they are local to me or I know someone that has access to them, normally.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I've cross posted very, very few dogs on my FB. I'll cross post only if the particular dog speaks to me AND is local... since I'd always be willing to pull a local dog to be transported.

Flyinsbt

the urgent dogs you mention? No, and I don't usually pay a lot of attention to those posts. I usually wind up choosing not to display posts from people who share a lot of those. I have just a few FB friends that I enjoy enough to put up with that.

I share a very occasional dog which I find particularly appealing, for whatever reason. ie; the dog I posted a little while back which got returned to the shelter for opening the refrigerator, removing a bottle of apple cider, and opening that. I heard that story from a guy who works at the shelter, who I've known on the internet for years, so if he said the dog was a great prospect, I trusted him. Clearly, the dog would do well in the kind of home likely to be a FB friend of mine, or friend of a friend; someone who likes to train dogs. So, I shared.

Then I got asked by a coworker if I was going to get that dog. Uh... no. I shared because I want someone else to get the dog.

That dog wasn't an "urgent" though, the shelter has no intention of putting her down, they just wanted to find her the right home. The "urgent" thing is creepy.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Actually my goal with sharing is to get them out. The goal of that step is expanding that chance of survival. Once out of the shelter or off death row the mission is not over but that first step is. Not everyone knows where that dog went but to say they were useless is incorrect. The mutual friend who pointed Shamoo out off CL, as a last ditch effort, has no idea where she went but she assisted in saving her life. Not all parts are big but all matter in the grand scheme. Not all stories end the way we want but it shouldn't jade those from trying forever.

The point is just because you choose not to assist in the same way doesn't mean those who do are doing anything wrong, they're just trying the only way they know how.
:hail:

chaospony

Not really. My friends list is made up of almost all sighthound people. I cross post sighthound related rescues and the occasional one that catches my eye. There are times when I feel bad for always ignoring the crossposting pleas but in all honesty the are not a whole lot of people on my list who are going to pass them on or do anything about them.
If it's a specific situation where I know someone in the area I may pass it along to them to see if they know of anyone local who can help.

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
Nope.
The vast majority are guilt trippy, vague and impossible causes with unknown histories from high intake shelters..somewhere. and of course it's all rushed and the dog needs to be out in like 24 minutes.

It's like the effect of putting a "go green! recycle" sticker on your car. Feels good, helping out, spreading awareness..but what are you doing really?

These dogs are crossposted 100 times by the same group of people, to each other, all over facebook.

Incredibly rarely I will crosspost a dog in rescue in a foster home with some decent pictures, a good character bio, known history/temperament who just needs some exposure and has TIME.

but the run of the mill "EMERGENCY NEEDS OUT NOW!" crossposts.. nope.
Pretty much this for me, too. I do crosspost lost & founds, so much that I actually made a FB page just for that locally since I felt like I was spamming my own newsfeed. (https://www.facebook.com/SanFernandoValleyLostFoundPets for anyone in the area) The last minute shelter dogs, though, there isn't much I or my friends/family can do for them.

I also think that for shelter pets in general, it's not sending a good message. The message I want 'general pet people' to see is "shelter dogs are great!" not "the shelter is depressing". I like the Shelter Pet Project's philosophy better than the guilt trip/handwringing.

Members online

No members online now.