Who cares for the dogs in your household?

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Pretty much what the title says. Kind of a spinoff from Does your SO... Even if your SO doesn't particularly care for dogs, does s/he help feed, exercise, ect?

Because Josh and I work split shifts, the dogs tend to sleep in with Josh, and he will let them out to go potty and such, maybe play a little outside, and then feed them breakfast. Sometimes he will throw them a Kong. If it's a day he is plowing, he usually takes Harlow along for the ride, though will every once in a while take Rider as well.

He will go on hikes with me, but the exercise and training is mainly left up to me. He is pretty good with going along with my dog crazy. We are both on the same page that when he gets his Griff, that he is responsible for the training and any individual exercise he wants to give her separate from my three, as it will be his dog.

How about you guys?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Shared pretty equally...

Although I somehow manage to avoid poo duties quite well :D shhhhhhhh...!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Well, Rosey is technically a family dog, so we all have things we have done for the last 16 years for her :p

My sister takes her for her basic, 3-4X a day half hour walks.
My brother makes sure she has kibble and water, though I'm starting to take that over.
I take her for the fun outings, take her to the vet, buy her food, give her dinner when I'm home and am in charge of her well-being and any decisions. As well as medications.
My mom gives her dinner when I'm working, and medication when I sleep in after an overnight shift.
My dad barks orders at her thinking she's a robot. Not very useful.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Me 100% unless I'm out of town, sick, or away from the house for more than 10 hours and DH gets home before I do.

crazedACD

My mom uh...lets them out. The kids do sometimes too. Sometimes they feed them if I'm not going to be home until late (or on a trip).

I 100% pay for all food, vetting, and supplies. Feed them all. Keep up with the litterboxes. Vacuum. Walk, play, exercise, and train. Bathe and groom. Nails.

Wonder why I'm moving? :popcorn:

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
We both share the responsibility :)

Lately, I've been feeding them and taking them out most of the time, because Ian's been busy at work. He normally feeds them breakfast on weekend mornings since he wakes up earlier than me.

Locke

Matrix is a family dog, my dad and I handle most of his care. My SO walks Matrix with me in the evening and on weekends, and will help out if my parents or I can't.

When I move out with my SO this spring/summer and I get my own dog, I'll be feeding, exercising, training in the early morning before I leave for work and when I get home. SO will let dog out to pee before he leaves for work, and probably join me for walks in the evenings. I know SO will also take over care if I'm sick or away.

SpringerLover

My situation is a little different. I pay 99.9% of the bills (my mom occasionally feels like being nice and will pick up a medication bill if she's picking up something at the clinic for me). When I lived with my mom she preferred buying litter if she was scooping cat boxes (which is something I'm not consistently great about). She would also take my dogs out for a short walk when she got home from work if I was working late.

Now that I live alone, I do everything. When I move into my apartment, I'll also have my cats again so I'll be 100% responsible for all care/bills/etc for 3/4 animals consistently. My mom has been wanting to buy some of Bailey's med/supplements lately which is nice now that Bailey is staying with her. I don't have to worry as much about her meds running out now.

ETA: Except for the fact that I'm moving into this building so Lauren can help if I'm stuck at school, or work... or something! :)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I do about 90% of the care for our dogs. I do all of their training and majority of their potty breaks, feeding, exercise etc. Josh will feed or take them on walks if I need him to and some days he takes Bamm to work with him depending on the job he is doing. Pretty much 95% of any money spent on the dogs comes out of my paychecks. I buy their food and training treats through my work with my discounts and today I'm paying for most of Cricket's vet bill out of my own paycheck. What I can't afford will come out of josh's bank account depending on how expensive it ends up being.

I do the majority. If he gets up first in the morning or gets home first at night, he lets them out and feeds them and if I am out of town and he is home he does everything (except he doesn't take them to training or exercise beyond leash walks). Sometimes he cleans up the yard, depending on our schedules.

Otherwise it's all me, but having the dogs is all my choice in the first place and I'm the one who likes to do activities with them, so it's a fair arrangement as far as I'm concerned.

SaraB

I do most of it, however whichever dog (if I don't take both with me) stays home with the husband gets played with, loved on and snuggled with pretty much nonstop unless he's busy with something. He also feeds/potties the dogs as needed if I'm not home.

One of the reasons he doesn't do more with the girls is because they aren't really home alone with him a lot and when I'm home, they are attached to me like glue. Also, he knows I'm working on various training things, so playing disc or fetch without implementing my rules can actually set back training (in the case of Zinga's impulse control). He's also never sure of how much exercise/training we've done that day or are intending to do that day, so he doesn't want to suck valuable energy from the dogs if I need them to have it.

As far as Zip goes, well we will both still feed and potty the dogs, however, Zip won't be going to work with me as often as the girls. Tim will have charge of his training and exercise needs, so that'll be quite the switch!

Lyzelle

I do most of it since Zane is mostly my dog. But if something needs done NOW or I'm busy, Jin will take up the slack and let Zane out or feed him. He'll play around with him and do small little training sessions.

NextDog will be primarily Jin's to care for and train, unless he's at work.

JacksonsMom

Well, I'm single and still live at home, so there are others in the household but I do 99.9% of everything. LOL. It's more like 100%. But they will help in a bind ... If I'm going to be late, I'll ask my step-dad to please take Jackson outside to potty, and that's about the most of it. When I'm visiting at my dads house, I kind of take over for all 3 dogs too. I feed them all dinner, I play with them all, etc. They love me when I come over because they actually get to DO something haha. Financially, he's all my responsibility too. However, if I am ever in an emergency situation, they will of course help chip in. Two years ago, when he ended up costing me $1300 over a one-night hospital stay, my dad gave me $200 towards it, and I think my step-dad gave me a little bit. So, yeah, I have the back-up should anything ever arise but I don't expect them to do anything for him.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Denis is a great trainer and cuddler, he'll feed and potty if I am not home but otherwise I tend to take the lead. I pick food, vet care, gear, and grooming. He's a great dog owner and pulls his weight but he bends to my control freak ways rather well.

Grab

I do most. He...loves and cuddles,lol. He'll also feed them if I specifically tell him to, lol.

And in his noncoaching season he'll walk them, since that's when he's home before dark.

TahlzK

I live at home with my family but the dogs are mine. I'm also single so I have no help! So, it's %100 me unless I'm out and I need my family to do something for the dogs. I like how this works because I don't like anyone else handling Serenity.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Me for the most part. There are 3 other people living in this house, but 2 of these people do absolutely nothing regarding any of the animals.

My mom works at home so she lets the dogs out during the day. If I work, she feeds them dinner because she hates making them wait for me to get home lol. She also helps on the days that I don't work, by getting the dogs up and fed so that I can sleep.

I do the training. I take them for walks, to the park, to the vet. If I'm home, all their care falls on me. Basically I'm the only one that actually DOES stuff with them, my mom just makes sure they have enough to survive (and she pets and kisses them. lol).

Gypsydals

It is mostly me who does the caring for the dogs, except letting them out to potty. But that doesn't take much effort. On rare occasions, the SO will feed them, but I think thats because HIS dog gets impatient about his food. Typically I do the feeding, bathing, brushing, walking, medicating. And I defiantly do ALL the vet trips.

Members online

No members online now.