Brush for short hair?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
What kind of brush should I use for Hank? He's shedding like crazy and I have no idea what type of brush would help. Never had a short haired dog before.

BostonBanker

Steal a child's sized rubber curry from one of your horse-addicted family members. Or, I guess, go spend $1.00 on one. They are fabulous, and both of my dogs love being groomed with them.

amberdyan

ditto on the rubber. I tried furminator type brushes marketed for short haired dogs (borrowed from a friend) and Hugo HATED them. I think his coat is too short and it irritated his skin. He loves the rubber curry brushes- we use "four paws" brand and I think it was literally $2.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
See, I hated the zoom groom. Much preferred the metal shedding rakes (like a metal curry comb).

See, I hated the zoom groom. Much preferred the metal shedding rakes (like a metal curry comb).
For a short haired dog? I could use those on dogs like labs, shepherds, and other thicker coated short haired dogs, but for me they would do pretty much nothing on a smooth coat like a Dane, weim, boxer, etc

*blackrose

For a short haired dog? I could use those on dogs like labs, shepherds, and other thicker coated short haired dogs, but for me they would do pretty much nothing on a smooth coat like a Dane, weim, boxer, etc
Yup, even for short haired. Maybe not like Dachshund smooth, but I've used it on coats like...a Dalmation, or "single" coated Lab with good success.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
He's not lab thick short hair but also not nearly as smooth as a dobe or dane or weim. I don't THINK he has a double coat. Not sure if that helps.

*blackrose

I still say shedding blade. :p

(ETA: I see when i mentioned it the first time around I had a brain fart and said shedding RAKE. No. Shedding BLADE. I do love double pronged rakes, but those are for thick coated dogs. I'll take a Shedding BLADE over a zoom groom any day.)

I still say shedding blade. :p

(ETA: I see when i mentioned it the first time around I had a brain fart and said shedding RAKE. No. Shedding BLADE. I do love double pronged rakes, but those are for thick coated dogs. I'll take a Shedding BLADE over a zoom groom any day.)
I just personally never had luck at all with those on smooth coats but everyone has different preferences for sure. Back when I was a groom tech I did a ton of shed-x so we used a myriad of tools, and definitely everyone did things just a bit differently :)

*blackrose

I just personally never had luck at all with those on smooth coats but everyone has different preferences for sure. Back when I was a groom tech I did a ton of shed-x so we used a myriad of tools, and definitely everyone did things just a bit differently :)
Haha, definitely. When I was a bather the only time I used a zoom groom/rubber curry type deal was when washing short haired dogs - but even then, I found that scrubbing well with my fingers and then giving a good towel/blow dry afterwards got more fur out than just the rubber curry alone.

Maybe I'm just inept at using them. That is quite possible. :p

Dagwall

Well Jubel isn't a big fan of brushing period, they zoom groom is tolerable with enough treats thrown in; anything with a rough/sharp/pointy edge is not going to happen.

BostonBanker

I tried a shedding blade on Meg once, and she was completely appalled. I don't think Gusto has enough hair that it would work for him anyway, but I'm not sure he'd be any more pleased by the feel.

I don't curry the dogs with the curry the way I would a horse; just short, fast, deep swipes in the direction of the hair. Both dogs lean into it happily, and it gets that tiny bit of downy undercoat that Meg has out nicely.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
SO MUCH SHEDDING GUYS.

I just laugh when people are commenting about how it must be nice not to deal with all the hair like the paps and shelties have. Yes but they don't shed but a 10th or so what Hank does. And Hank's hairs stick in everything.

No burrs and no feet trimming though.

Another vote for the Zoom Groom here. I've also had some success with some of my thicker coated Danes (my harles and whites had more coat than the others) by using a squirt bottle to mist the coat and then doing a wipe down with a chamois cloth. It pulls a good amount of loose, dead fur out..and then I'd follow up with the Zoom Groom.

Members online