Have an idea. What do you think?

Desteny

Save a life: Rescue
I was thinking today. There are so many dogs euthanized in a high - kill shelter about a half an hour away from where I live that I started thinking. Our pup, Sunny, was due to be put to sleep the night we adopted her. This is a bad shelter, as shelters go. They don't do fostering and the kennels are not heated. They don't use internet sites such as Petfinder. This is a government run shelter, I believe.

So, I came up with an idea to help animals. They don't do fostering, so I could adopt say a dog, for example. One that is on his last days, likely because he is older, unmannered, unsocialized, etc. Train the dog, socialize him, clean him up, neuter him, etc. and find him a home. Sure, it's a slow process. One animal at a time, but it is an animal that nobody is willing to put any work or time into. I'm thinking about bringing it up to my parents, but I'm not sure how exactly to bring it up. I don't want them to think it's one of those "I JUST CAME UP WITH A GREAT IDEA" things. I want them to take me seriously. What do you guys think of my idea??

Some people do that, and it's truly a wonderful thing to do. It's a big plus for people looking for a pet when they find one that is well-behaved and fixed. You could also see if it's possible for you to volunteer at the shelter. If not, you can still hold little events to raise money for them.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i read somewhere that if your piece of art, poetry, music..literature touches even one person..then you are a success...to save one life..is a gift from an angel. Good luck! Trudy was a last day, last minute dog..she looks very much like a fox..we were looking for our lost dog..but saw this perky dog out of the corner of my eye. She has had a lovely long life with my Mother, now she is grizzled.10 years later.but still bright. I think it is a generous and wonderful idea.

Desteny

Save a life: Rescue
Thanks everyone! Now I need to talk my parents into it. If they say no to that, there is a shelter about 1.5 hours away, in a different state, that does fostering. It a bit of a ways to go for volunteering, but maybe I could foster for them. I used to live in that town and before I moved, I did volunteer there. It is a good, non kill shelter. In my 2.5 years of volunteering there, they destroyed two animals. A young kitten due to a terminal illness and an adult dog due to aggression (he attached and severly hurt a staff member).

I regularly donate to my local shelter, which at this time is raising money to build a real facility. Right now it is a twk person team that lives in a different town.

Saje

Island dweller
You could also do what I do and go to the shelter once a week and take some pictures of the animals. It's up to you how many. And then print them out with info and post them in high traffic areas. I put them up at the pet store in the mall. They don't sell pets and are happy to help.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
I think that's a terrific idea! You could get a group together, maybe, and each member could take a dog, and foster it. It sounds wonderful! Let us know how it works out!!! Best of luck with your parents!

~Purr

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
that is what the woman that saved Victor does, tho she doesn't train them, she does keep them in her own kennel..then drives them from petsmart to petsmart on their adoption days. She also posts them on petsaver.com

Members online