diet for intestinal infection?

scox1313

can anyone point me to a diet plan that is good for this problem? don't want to feed hill's products.

my dogs both got bacterial infections in their intestines. the vet prescribed a bunch of pills and cans of hill's prescription diet i/d. i see a ton of stuff on this board about how terrible hill's products are. the vet had a big hill's display and was wearing a hill's hat and hills scrubs. so i am skeptical about how necessary this really is.

the dogs' normal diet is chicken, ground beef, chicken hearts+livers, rice, oatmeal, carrots peas and corn. recently we started eliminating things one by one to see if the diarrhea would stop, so we were down to just meat for the past week or so. i asked the vet if the meat was just as good. i should have asked if their normal diet was good. he said it wasn't balanced enough and the hill's prescription diet needs to be fed to them for 3 days.

Brattina88

If it were me, I would do just chicken and rice for a while until the diarrhea stops. Maybe some canned pumpkin (not the pie filling stuff, actual canned pumpkin with nothing added) would help with the diarrhea.

but I am curious about your normal diet - is that an everyday meal? do you supplement for calcium and other such things? Without knowing more, I would be concerned it wasn't balanced enough

Brattina88

:rofl1: I wish! .... just kidding, of course ;)

A number of people here on chaz can vouch for Sabine - or "Mordy" as we knew he here on Chaz ;) She writes http://www.dogfoodproject.com/ which I refer to often and she's helped me with my Maddie in the past. Trust me, she knows what she's talking about when it comes to nutrition and dogs. I have fed raw but I've never cooked for my dogs, so I can't really help you there - maybe others here have and will chime in soon.

Doberluv

I see some things that are missing from that diet. To name just a few....bone meal, lots of essential trace minerals. I'm not sure what amounts of things he's getting and if that provides him with the proper vitamins. I absolutely recommend you feed a balanced diet...either a high quality kibble or do your research for home cooked or raw.

And I definitely recommend, as the others have to contact Sabine on that link provided. I consulted with her for my Doberman's liver friendly diet when he had liver disease. It helped him feel better and played a major role in the management of his disease. She really knows her stuff.

Saeleofu

I feed canned chicken or salmon mixed with canned pumpkin when my dogs have an upset stomach. It's very simple, 2 ingredients, and the fiber stops diarrhea very quickly.

Logan had a clostridial infection and was on Tylan for 6 months. That along with changing to a grain-free diet has cleared him up 100%. He was abotu 90% better on Taste of the Wild, but on Victor Yukon Salmon GF he has been absolutely perfect.

Vitamin B12 is also useful in some cases.

I would start by taking the corn out of the dog's food. That's one reason I HATE Hills. It's just corn and some crappy beat by-products for the most part (or peas and peanut shells for their grain free line). That diet definitely needs revising, but I can't tell you what to do to make it work as I have never regularly home-cooked. If I were to feed something besides kibble I would feed prey-model raw, but I don't have the freezer space to make it affordable right now.

james6

The Importance Of A Dog's Diet

Nothings greatly affects your dog's well-being like the diet you he feeds on, so, what makes diet
so special? Let's discover more.
The fact that you love your dog speaks for itself, and of course he deserves to be loved, after all
he's humanity's best friend. There is no doubt that you want to keep him in the best of health.
Many ways exist for you to achieve that goal and providing a nutritious and well balanced diet is
just one of them, doing this will ensure that your pet's longevity and good health is guaranteed.
Just consider how distasteful a hungry or malnourished person can be, and you will see the
importance of well balanced and healthy selections when choosing a diet for your dog. If you
compromise your dog's diet then you should not expect to enjoy a life at its fullest together.
http://your-dogs-diet.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-importance-of-dogs-diet.html

Ivy

Maybe a limited ingredient kibble will help. I have a dog with digestive issues and I had him on Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Diet (lamb) and he did fantastic. Could be an option.

Members online

No members online now.