Bonnie the guardian

bonster

Disappointed :(
A strange thing happened a few nights back which could have turned out pretty bad, but as it happened ended up OK.

Out walking on some open land and, about the same time as Bonnie, I spotted a lose/wild dog - looked kind of pug-like - it was very dark. It came up to us (I was with my girlfriend) and started sniffing at us and Bonnie.

With this kind of thing - which happens from time-to-time, we worry about them being potentially agressive and/or diseased, and gently tried to take Bonnie away and gently command/shoo away the wild/lose one after a short time of it hanging around, which usually works - often wild dogs (not uncommon here) are curious but quite nervous. Not this one -- it went for 'retaliation' :eek: and started to growl and nash! Worse - my (nervous) GF started to back away quickly which seemed to start a mini-chase, and I thought she might get bitten as it started to run at her (she's not great with strange dogs).

Bonnie leapt right in between them (then we were worried for her!) and let off some tremendous barks - and scared it away, and on the few nights since when we've been out in the dark and there is another dog or even distant barking - she will place herself between it and my GF - even if she's on the lead she'll switch sides!

candy722

Oh how cute. Bonnie is so smart and protective. I know TOki would be crawling up to me and she heard another dog growl. hehe

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
What a clever girl!!! Dog are very good at protecting us womenfolk!
Gus is the same with the strange man that lives down the road who is always trying to get too close to me! He makes me nervy, (the strange man not Gus! lol!) and Gus gets in between us! Nothing like a big snarling dog to put people off!! :D

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
GO BONNIE what a great gurl she was..hope girlfriend was impressed!

Doberluv

Way to go Bonnie. (e-r-r-r, it still hurts to use that name. That was my Lab's name who I just had to pts.) Great name though.

That is so cool that she was willing to go between the threat and your girlfriend. People who caused this dog to be "wild" are so cotton pickin obnoxious. Doesn't that just infuriate you?

Athe

I would carry some thing like mace or some other repellant type spray for any lose dogs you may meet up with. I certainly wouldn't want to chance the fact the dog may have been carrying a horrid disease which made it bold and aggressive.
More times I have seen loose dogs in my area, and having a dog aggressive Rottweiler I always worry. Most dogs that are left to run at large are cocky and pretty sure of themselves. Especially when you have a hill billy mentality for the owner. There are more people who think it's "cruel" to keep a dog confined and allow their dogs to run at large. The owners love their dogs, and they think they are doing a wonderful thing for the dog...in the end most of these dogs end up either getting hit by a car or shot by a neighbor. Ignorance bothers me. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.