Ear cropping?

Doberluv

No, they don't dock Lab's tails.

"Just because you can do something to an animal and justify the act to yourself and others, doesn't mean you should."
That's so true. But I think that quote, as good as it is, isn't appropriate to this context. I don't see anyone justifying docking tails just for the sake of justifying or, in other words, rationalizing away with excuses for doing something which is wrong. To automatically assume that this docking is wrong and imply that anyone in favor of it is wrongly justifying it is an inacurate and leading ideal. I gave my opinion and my reasons (notice the word, reasons) for being in favor of docking certain breeds tails. In my case, it's the Doberman. It is my opinion, after consuming some facts on the matter, that they are valid reasons, not merely blantant or empty justifications.

Furthermore, I think it is wrong to NOT dock a Doberman's tail. In the line of work that they do and even if they aren't doing the work, their tails can become caught in something, grabbed or fractured by smacking against something. There are cases which I've personally heard about. The fact that they are very thin, very little hair or fat and long makes the odds fairly great that they will be injured at some time during their life. I'd much rather prevent that with a painless procedure at the age that it is normally done than see the pain that they would endure with a potentially serious injury.

RedHotDobe said:
Aren't Labs that are used in hunting docked? I've heard someone say it, and they made it sound like that was just common knowledge. I guess my common knowledge just isn't up-to-date. ;) I don't understand the point though, their tails are so thick, how on earth could they get damaged in the brush?? Not to mention they are RETRIEVERS, and their tails are used for RETRIEVING water fowl, from, *gasp*, the water! Maybe some people just have a docking obsession! :p
No, you don't. They have "otter tails" which they use liek rudders. They're tails are very useful to them.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
labradors tails are never docked unless there is a medical reason like a broken and unrepairable tail. I cannot imagine a lab without his handsome tail.

I cannot imagine a lab without his handsome tail.
My girl uses her tail all the time. That thing is always moving. I can't imagine her without her tail. My Aunt has a Boxer mix (probably some Lab, too), and all her litter mates were docked. She's glad Browny isn't because she uses her tail so much.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
No, they don't dock Lab's tails.
No, you don't. They have "otter tails" which they use liek rudders. They're tails are very useful to them.
I know Labs' tails aren't docked, I'm just giving you a possible explanation for the docked Lab. :) If you do a PF search you may find a few, I've seen several on there before, and the "field/working" dog thing was given as the reason. I believe there was even one at the HCHS, and again the "working/hunting dog" thing was put as a possible explanation on his page. I realize their tails are used to retrieve things from the water, which is why I gave such a sarcastic response. :)

showpug

Looks to me like the lab's tail may just be swung over to the side and the picture cropping makes it look docked. It is not common practice to dock labs. I think this is just a photo glitch.

Someone mentioned earlier that to crop ears is to shorten them. Some breeds like Great Danes and dobies have the full lenght left on, while breeds like pits are usually cut shorter.

Doberluv

Hey Showpug...I see that possibility now... it almost looks like it is bent sideways and out of the way of the picture. Hmmmm.

Yes, my Doberman's ears are the full length. The tip that was there at birth is still there. He has what's called a show crop. Some are a little shorter and called a pet crop and some are shorter still and called a working crop. Within all these different types are various shapes made as well. Some leave on more bell and some are quite narrow, such as Lyric's.

oriondw

user not active
Ear cutting and cropping is completely normal. Considering pups dont feel a thing....

If you dont like it, dont do it. End of story.

The next person that tells me how cruel it was for my dog to loose ears on the street is getting my boot up their a**.

Its disrespectful and implies that im cruel to my own dog.

:mad:

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
Loose ears?
Anyway, I'm a bit divided on this issue. Dobes, maybe. I agree with the arguments for working dobes, and the tail thing. But here in australia very few dobes do any work of the sort. Fortunatly ear cropping is banned where i live, possibly because so many **** bogans want it done on every dog they get. It is not uncommon to hear of a person taping their dogs legs together and their mouths shut, before taking a pair of scissors to their ears.*shudder*
I tend to lean more towards creature teachers earlier comments. I work in an animal shelter and there are things i wish i hadn't seen.

Members online

No members online now.