Law Proposed to Let Police Enter Without a Warrant and Kill Your Dog (Missouri)

You are lucky you got away with a comment like that....
Also, he didn't know you were unarmed. Traffic stops are very dangerous for cops, it does happen where people DO pull a gun out and there's no way for them to tell ahead of time or by looking at you. I think it was a really sh!tty thing to say, frankly, but for some reason I'm not surprised.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
It must be the areas you guys live in, because here the cops aren't jumpy like that. I've been pulled over quite a few times over the years (I have a problem with a lead foot) and I've never had an issue with a cop getting upset because he couldn't see my hands, or because I was rooting around the glove box for my registration (which here you HAVE to keep in your car). In fact, when a cop walks up to my car, they'll usually find me with my license and registration ready, looking at my phone.

Maybe it's because I'm a small white chick who looks like an innocent kid (even though I'm 32)?

krissy

I agree that pet owners need to do their part to be responsible, however... if you show up to the WRONG house and shoot someone's dog in their backyard... I think you have to face consequences for that. I get that mistakes happen, but that's on you if you choose to use deadly force. I can be the most responsible pet owner in the world, but I can't protect my dogs from a situation where you show up unexpectedly at my house by accident.

The guy with the two labs... how was he supposed to keep his dogs safe? They broke down his freaking door. Of course the dogs are going to meet you at the door. That's what dogs do. As a responsible pet owner should he have kept his dogs in crates at all times in case the police decided to knock down his door?

The people in the first video... I'm sorry, but as an officer, if you're so worried about the threat of a dog... CLOSE THE F-ING CAR DOORS IF THERE'S A DOG IN THE VEHICLE. There was no reason that dog had to die.

Yes, pet owners need to be responsible and do their part. Dogs shouldn't be running at large. If the cops show up, put your dogs away or hold onto them. But cops need to use some intelligent thought too. If they want to stay safe and keep people safe and not kill unnecessarily... then they need to get some training, and they need to use common sense (seriously, close the freaking car doors... Such an unnecessary "threat" to have happen in the first place).

And sure, sometimes it may be reasonable or necessary with a truly aggressive dog, and sure sometimes accidents happen. I'm glad I live in Canada where this isn't a huge problem.

Dekka

Just try me..
The one that made me the saddest, though I can't find it now. Was the police came looking for some kid at his grandmother's home. She said he wasn't there. They were all insistent (I don't think they had a warrent/don't remember) she said they could come in and look. She has an elderly pug that didn't like strangers. The cops told her to put the dog in the bathroom. So she did.

Cops come in and search. Cop opens bathroom dog comes out and cop shoots dog.

One, its a pug. And two they told the woman to put it there. They could have asked her to hold it/put it on leash etc.

LMost

I've had a cop point his gun at one of my mastiff's before.
Asked him what he was doing. He informed me he needed to search the yard.
I asked him if he really thought someone was hiding in my yard with my dog.
He informed me if the dog came toward him he would be force to shoot it. I informed him he was on security cameras with audio and if he shot the dog, he would no longer be a police officer. He huffed and walked away.

JacksonsMom

I agree that pet owners need to do their part to be responsible, however... if you show up to the WRONG house and shoot someone's dog in their backyard... I think you have to face consequences for that. I get that mistakes happen, but that's on you if you choose to use deadly force. I can be the most responsible pet owner in the world, but I can't protect my dogs from a situation where you show up unexpectedly at my house by accident.

The guy with the two labs... how was he supposed to keep his dogs safe? They broke down his freaking door. Of course the dogs are going to meet you at the door. That's what dogs do. As a responsible pet owner should he have kept his dogs in crates at all times in case the police decided to knock down his door?

The people in the first video... I'm sorry, but as an officer, if you're so worried about the threat of a dog... CLOSE THE F-ING CAR DOORS IF THERE'S A DOG IN THE VEHICLE. There was no reason that dog had to die.

Yes, pet owners need to be responsible and do their part. Dogs shouldn't be running at large. If the cops show up, put your dogs away or hold onto them. But cops need to use some intelligent thought too. If they want to stay safe and keep people safe and not kill unnecessarily... then they need to get some training, and they need to use common sense (seriously, close the freaking car doors... Such an unnecessary "threat" to have happen in the first place).

And sure, sometimes it may be reasonable or necessary with a truly aggressive dog, and sure sometimes accidents happen. I'm glad I live in Canada where this isn't a huge problem.

I agree. It's extremely ridiculous. I don't think most people actually realize how often this is happening either.

JacksonsMom

The one that made me the saddest, though I can't find it now. Was the police came looking for some kid at his grandmother's home. She said he wasn't there. They were all insistent (I don't think they had a warrent/don't remember) she said they could come in and look. She has an elderly pug that didn't like strangers. The cops told her to put the dog in the bathroom. So she did.

Cops come in and search. Cop opens bathroom dog comes out and cop shoots dog.

One, its a pug. And two they told the woman to put it there. They could have asked her to hold it/put it on leash etc.
Wow!! Just... wow. I can't even imagine. Jackson gets super riled up when anyone enters the home. I can calm him down real quick and he's not actually a threat but he can make a lot of noise... I can imagine a big guy with a uniform and gun etc would definitely put him on higher alert.

I don't live in a neighborhood so I feel like the probability is lower of something like this happening but if a cop did ever show up at our door, I would for sure go lock Jackson up in a very safe place before even opening the door, due to all the stories I've read.

Members online

No members online now.