How soon can a dog play after eating?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Ok, I was wondering how long I have to wait to play fetch with my dogs after they finish eating. They are all large breed dogs/puppies and I do not want to run the risk of them getting bloat. Is half an hour a good enough time to give them and not worry about them bloating?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
That's what I was thinking. It's been a half an hour and I played for twenty minutes with them (I never let the puppies play for longer than 45 minutes at a time). They're SO tired though because I was throwing the catch thing I have clear across three neighbor's lawns (don't worry they gave me permission). So that's why they only fetched for twenty minutes. I usually get them out for fetch three to four times daily for half an hour, and then they go for two one hour walks one in the morning and one in the late afternoon.

Doberluv

I wait at least an hour with my Doberman, preferably 2. They are deep chested dogs and very prone to bloat. If my dog is going to do hard running, I wait 2 hours after he eats to run. (I'm not talking a little mild romping) And I don't exercise him right before a meal either...not within 1 hour before eating. It's a terribly dangerous thing and any dog can suffer it, but the larger breeds and especially deep chested ones are really prone to it.

One other thing, I dont know where in the US you are but here in NY its soooo hot,
I would limit some of the outdoor exercise to early morning and later after the sun goes down :>)

teapot

how soon

hi i agree with doberluv as my vet says 1 hour to an hour and a half, but my dog is also a deep chested dog ....teapot

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
yeah it's hot here too but they don't care they always beg me to play fetch with them after my daughter lays down for a nap and they WON'T STOP until I throw a few. If it's too hot I'll only throw a couple and then I'll wait until later and give them a nice walk, sometimes I'll take them to the tennis court and let then have a good run in there if noone's playing, because it's fenced off.

Susi

Hi Juliefurry or is it julie?

I have two rhodesian ridgeback girls and they are counted to the larger breeds. I always wait at least one hour even one and a half before I even go for a walk with them. There is no playing either before that. it is know with large breeds that when they have a full tummy it can twist (tummy hangs on like ropes) which means that the tummy is bloated. This can cause death. I have seen this myself and it is very painful for the dog, who wants to vomite. the tummy get so bloated that you think he has swollowed a balloon. We have clinics here who specialize in such cases and they are always successful if a dog is brought in on time. At my dog school they have suggested ramming a knitting needle into the side of the dogs tummy to pop it and let all the gases out.but I couldn´t do that. Luckly I have never had that problem with mine.

Hope I could be a little help

love susi and my furry companions Ashiki and charu

love susi from germany

Members online

No members online now.