Shaffer update

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Shaffer the stray i took in and then my mom adopted is slowy improving. At first he walked like an old old man and seemed so sorrowful unless Victor was with him. Today i took a long hard look at him and his bones are still sharp even tho mom is providing him a ton of food..but it will take more than a week to fill those big gapes in. He is getting a bit of perk to his step..and playing with a toy. A little of the little boy is beginning to appear in his face, he smiles more and most important of all..when i went to the front door to leave he turned and followed Mom to the kitchen instead of watching me go.. i bought him a new toy at Deals..it squeeks and has a tennis ball inside of a zippered pouch. Hyia can throw it down the hall and he brings it back for her. All sounds basically boring until you compare it to the sad tired old acting dog that he was the week before. He likes it when we play the piano and lies down underneath..it is a babygrand while we practice. Mom says he comes into her room a couple times at night and lies down beside her bed but the floor gets to hard so he moves back to his bed in the kitchen. I wonder if she will put another bed in her room..but i know better than to suggest it. With mom it is best to let things take their own course..that way it is her idea and there for a good one.

gapeach

Big Mutts
It sounds like Shaffer is going to make a great companion, I'm glad he got such a great home and is bonding with your mom. And you and your dogs will still get to see him. Yah!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Victor grins at me with his lower teeth when he sees Shaff through the window and Shaffer is just as excited when his friend comes over. Looks like a win win situation to me. He will be a wonder when he fills out. It hurts you just to pet him because you feel no muscle or fat, just bones. I wonder how long it takes a dog to go without food to become this thin. I figure he is 20 to 25 lbs underweight. Mom is feeding him three times a day with lots of added good things. Corn oil too. That is what my vet told me to add to Mary's dad's food when he would drop to much weight at the kennels.

gapeach

Big Mutts
I can't wait to see what he will look like when he fills out. He is very handsome, looks like maybe some German Shepard?

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm so glad all is going well with Schaff & your mom. Maybe if Hyia said it would be nice for Schaff to have a bed next to your mom, she would do it.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Shaffer is working on her..he is a hugger..first he bumps you ever so lightly..then he leans his head and shoulder gently against you. He's got her number now..i always knew if you could get mom to pet it..it could stay..but you mustn't ever ask because she will no as a reflex answer..so let things take their course and all will be fine. i noticed there was extra padding on his bed today.

Barb, that's pure genius!

Reminds me of my cousin Crystal, when she was just 3 years old. She wanted to come and spend the weekend with us. She was an adorable child, very bright, but got ignored for her older brother who was the favorite. Crystal adored my Father, who is a real softy for little girls. We had a little Ford Falcon van that was a camper and had what they called a "jump seat" that sat directly behind the driver's seat and faced backwards. Crystal was sitting in that seat. She squirmed around in the seat belt until she had herself turned around on her knees, put her arms around my Dad's neck and said oh-so-softly into his ear, "Uncle Richard, wouldn't you just luuuuuv an ice cream?"

We stopped and had ice cream. ;)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
my mom is a tight one with money and so stubborn she makes a mule look carefree. Hyia is playing a great deal with Shaffer now. I wish shaff could sleep in her room but her asthma is so bad mom is afraid that Shaffer will bring more dust and pollen into her room. (Hyia coughs until she throws up..and that was once last night and again this morning) so mom will probably keep him in the kitchen for now.. she is a light sleeper and if Shaffer keeps trying to go in..she might decide on her own. Hyia knows not to suggest to mom i am afraid..she is kinda tricky that way. almost like dealing with a husband. You got to have them think it is their idea or it wont be a go. mom will just think i put the idea in Hyia's head. (like she doens't have enough fo her own "plans" circulating around in there) We did have the child allergy tested and dogs were not one of them..but grass pollen was..and i still think mold is as well tho it didn't show up on the scratch test. THey might not have tested the mold that i think is bothering her. She is always worse right before and when it rains..same as me. My son had asthma just like Hyia and spent his childhood coughing the same way. By the time he was 14 it was better. He still has symtoms but has a new med that has made a great difference in his life. Hyia is too young for it still.

It's a shame there isn't someplace Hyia could swim regularly, at least through the summer. Swimming often gets rid of asthma. Don't ask me why, but it does work! I had it when I was a kid and a doctor in California suggested it. Once I started swimming the asthma disappeared.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I was planning on taking her to lessons this summer. I taught both my children to swim at 5..but thought she might like the social of a class in the pool. I will let mom know what you posted. I hope it works. Mom is tired and needs her nights. i have told her anytime she feels that Hyia is becoming to much she can come to my house..for a few nights or for all nights..that it is Mom's call. She is using the nebulizer but will be old enough for an inhaler soon. They are suppose to work better. Kansas city is the mold capital and allergy triggered ashtma is so common that most families are effected. It is because the whole city is a big river valley..the heat holds the moisture in and the mold dances a can can in the air everytime it gets ready to rain. One day i will be out of here, but until then im a zertec gurl.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
hahaha i just got off the phone with mom who is now calling him Mister Shaffer and Hyia was laughing so hard i couldn't hardly hear..she was playing tug with Mr. Shaffer..Mom thought maybe his ribs didn't look so sharp this week....she said all he wants to do is EAT oh and he TALKS! mom held the phone up so i could hear what he was saying..all kinds of mumbly sounds..not barks. I even heard smiles in my mother's voice...Mr. Shaffer is a magic man.

gapeach

Big Mutts
That is so cute that he talks, Carey used to cry when she thought her Daddy should be home from work. I had to have the scratch test twice as a child and I was allergic to dogs. We had to get rid of my Snauzer, Pepper. Kept family dog, Buffy though. Then I went for shots for several years, no fun but not scared of needles like some people are! Maybe she will outgrow her asthma, my dad did. But my sister has it. Have heard the myth about getting a Chiuahah, some friends of mine swear by it. And his asthma is gone, so who knows. I'm glad your mom and Hyia love MR. Shaffer so much, he desrved a good home. I didn't realize before, Hyia lives with your mom?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
It is a strange situation..but yeah for now she does..first she was with me until she was 7 months..and then she and my daughter moved in with mom..then Jess left and Hyia stayed. Mom use to run a liscensed daycare and is now retired..she lives alone and Hyia is good company for her. Mom is also 80 so she knows when she can no longer feel strong enough to care for her.then Hyia will stay with me. Hyia does see and loves her birth mom as well. When we were in the car the other day she said she was lucky cause she has three moms. We just want her life to be as structured and secure as possible. As it is she has the best we can give..Mom is wonderful about the routine..i am the teacher..and the back up..when one person is not feeling well..or tired and needs a break, the other steps in. I only live three miles away so we are basically Team Hyia.

gapeach

Big Mutts
Ya'll are very strong and giving women. I admire you both. Hyia is lucky to have you.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Hyia is lucky to be loved by all of you. She's a beautiful little girl.
Glad to hear Mr. Shaffer is at home.

Members online

No members online now.