How to teach puppy new name?

Barb04

Super Moderator
Keeping my fingers crossed, our new puppy should be flying in from California this Saturday.

She is 5 months old. The breeder named her Shadow, but she doesn't really know it. He said he calls her little girl or sweetie and she responds.

Please refresh my aging memory as to how to teach a dog a new name.

Thanks
Barb

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Well, basically with Rocky we just kept saying his name whenever we called him it was followed by a Rocky.

And when he would respond, I would praise him. It's really not hard, Rocky learned his in 1 or 2 weeks.

Barb04

Super Moderator
We decided to go with the older 5 month old female. We both really wanted a dog that came from the breeder's own lines and not a mother from a different breeder. Our breeder has been doing this for over 20 years and his dogs are magnificent. Our puppy has a great ancestry.

Well, I'll let the name out. Her name will be "Kona". The reason behind this choice is that her dad is Kano, a bandog which most other breeders know. We told the breeder our choice of names, and he thought it was awesome.

We will pick Kona up at the airport Saturday morning, so I'll try to get some pics up later that day. I'm so excited.

Barb04 said:
Her name will be "Kona".
Cool! Josie the Wonderdog was called "Keno" by the rescue foster breeder, but when I got home and was going through the original rescue papers a week later from I found out her name was actually "Kona". By then it was too late.

Josie responds to 2 names: Josie and Dipsh*t. :cool:

Members online

No members online now.