Just for Fun, Another What breed For Me Thread

casey82

In the next few years I really want another dog. I've been doing research on so many breeds. There are definately some breeds I love but will never own, however, there are more breeds that are on my maybe list than I will be able to own in my life time so looking for suggestions.

Anyway here is what I'm looking for:

loves training

Can be safe in public- I take my dogs out in public all the time. I really love dogs that love people but am totally fine with reserved as long as the dog can be comfortable in crowded situations.

has a sense of humor

Dogs that like to swim is a plus

longer lived

Right now I work full time. I'm hoping to change my life style where my work can include my dogs but it hasn't happend yet.

I really like dogs that think.

I'm doing agility and obedience with my dog right now but am learning about other sports so I'd love a dog medium to high energy with an off switch. I do a ton with my dog whether it's swimming, walking dog sports or off leash activities.

Things I don't care about: size/grooming

Things I don't want: Super independent breeds. I kind of like velcro dogs.

Anyway suggest away.

SaraB

I went through your list with an open mind, but after reading everything, realized that koolies fit your wants to a T! Not that I'm biased or anything.... :D

loves training - Koolies looove training. It's my crew's favorite part of the day. I specifically got my dogs because I needed dogs that would tolerate an overload of training because it's my profession.

Can be safe in public- I take my dogs out in public all the time. I really love dogs that love people but am totally fine with reserved as long as the dog can be comfortable in crowded situations. Koolies love people! I had a human aggressive dog once and it really made me realize how nice it is to have a dog that is awesome in public, another main reason for me going with koolies.

has a sense of humor My dogs are freaking hilarious. Or at least they think so.

Dogs that like to swim is a plus Both my two took to water right away. Zip's sister isn't a huge fan yet, but they are working on it. Zinga loves to dock dive and we dabble in it as a sport.

longer lived Koolies are generally pretty healthy because they have been bred as nothing but working dogs. They are tools that can make or break their owner's livelihood. Zip's grandparents are still alive and are in their upper teens (16ish).

I really like dogs that think. Both of my dogs are pretty operant, they figure things out quickly.

I'm doing agility and obedience with my dog right now but am learning about other sports so I'd love a dog medium to high energy with an off switch. I do a ton with my dog whether it's swimming, walking dog sports or off leash activities. There are some lower energy/drive koolies out there. However, the majority range from medium to high energy.

Things I don't want: Super independent breeds. I kind of like velcro dogs. Both of my koolies follow me from room to room and just generally want to know what I'm up to.

Anyway suggest away.

casey82

Liking water isn't a necessity. I really really am begining to like Paps. And it's all yours and Mia's fault.:rofl1: I just think you have the cutest dogs. The more I read about them and learn about them, I think they are a very real possibility. I just wish they were a little bigger. I may look into a sports bred Pap when the time comes. I also like how portable they are.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I only know a couple sports breeders (that also show) but dang their dogs rock. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get a dog from them though.

They are fun dogs. If they came in a bigger size they might be all I had. But I have to admit their size can be charming. It's a lot of personality packed into a tiny little pup. I think I will always have a papillon.

milos_mommy

A lot of the sporting breeds fit your list: labs, goldens, pointers, brittany, viszla, springer spaniel.

Australian Shepherd also came to mind.

Koolie totally works!

Also, Golden. It might be because I've been around so many nice Goldens in the last few months but they're giving me major want and they seem like they would fit great except maybe for the health part but I don't know enough about that to comment.

Gypsydals

A Dalmatian would fit this list.

loves training Ivan is always up for learning new things.

Can be safe in public- I take my dogs out in public all the time. I really love dogs that love people but am totally fine with reserved as long as the dog can be comfortable in crowded situations. Most Dals are good in public as long as they have had the socialization. Some tend to be more reserved with strangers than others, but they normally just ignore the strangers.

has a sense of humor. Dals tend to think they are down right comedians. Males more so than Females. Females typically have a very twisted sense of humor.

Dogs that like to swim is a plus. Ivans whole line, loves water.

longer lived Typically Dals live 14 to 16 years. At 8 Ivan still acts like a puppy.

Right now I work full time. I'm hoping to change my life style where my work can include my dogs but it hasn't happend yet.

I really like dogs that think. They are thinkers. Sometimes TOO much.

I'm doing agility and obedience with my dog right now but am learning about other sports so I'd love a dog medium to high energy with an off switch. I do a ton with my dog whether it's swimming, walking dog sports or off leash activities. As long as the off switch is taught to them, they have it. But I think that is typical with all breeds. If its just Ivan and I, and I'm sitting reading. He can lay down and chill. If there is more activity going on in the house, then he has a harder time with it.

Things I don't care about: size/grooming

Things I don't want: Super independent breeds. I kind of like velcro dogs. Dals are both, they can be independent but are also velcro dogs. Ivan has got to be where I am at. If I'm inside, he wants inside, if I am in the shower, he WANTS to be there. And being in the bathroom is not good enough, he wants IN the shower with me. Typically if you are that dals person they are velcro dogs, if you are not well then they are pretty independent.

Anyway suggest away.

A lab seems to fit your situation nicely?

In the next few years I really want another dog. I've been doing research on so many breeds. There are definately some breeds I love but will never own, however, there are more breeds that are on my maybe list than I will be able to own in my life time so looking for suggestions.

loves training Labs are always willing to learn something new.

Can be safe in public- I take my dogs out in public all the time. I really love dogs that love people but am totally fine with reserved as long as the dog can be comfortable in crowded situations. This goes unexplained, everyone knows labs are very good people dogs.

has a sense of humor Labs are constant comedians, as I'm sure you know.

Dogs that like to swim is a plus I'm sure I don't need to tell you that Labs love the water.

longer lived They typically live 12-15 years, I'll let you decide whether you think that's long or short.

I really like dogs that think. Can't help you there since they're not know to be intellectual beasts, sorry ;)

I'm doing agility and obedience with my dog right now but am learning about other sports so I'd love a dog medium to high energy with an off switch. I do a ton with my dog whether it's swimming, walking dog sports or off leash activities. Labs have around medium-highish energy, and are happy to burn it however you want. Swimming, walking dog sports, and off leash activities all sound like something a Lab would enjoy. They tend to be happy with sleeping around the house and playing with toys until you are ready to get out and go, so the off switch applies to.

Things I don't care about: size/grooming I'm glad of that because grooming is a major part of owning a lab.

Things I don't want: Super independent breeds. I kind of like velcro dogs. I don't need to tell you that Labs are velcro dogs in the purest sense. They are never happier than when they are near you and they will follow you around the house when you are home. However, you might have a few issues with separation anxiety.
Anyway suggest away.

Members online

No members online now.