HELP-Dog got wood chip stuck in foot

he's welping and crying. the vets are closed. what should i do. my dad is trying to get it out. if it stays in any longer it will infect the whole area. if he takes it out, it will be infected. im worried majorily. pls help. he a sook and cant take it

mrose_s

BusterLove
ide say it definetley needs to come out, an infected paw with nothing in it is easier to fix up ide say. I dont know, a bandage over it for the night or untill you can reach a vet might help. How deep is it in? in the paw or pad?

I'll put some pics on. We still have it in for now. we tried to get it out. My dog wont let us. Its wedged in. We think its a chip of a stick. Or it might just be growth. But he just running on a field and then sudenly stopped and dropped for a while. Thats when we investigated. He's limping around everywhere. so we think it has to be a stone or stick. Here's some pics.

if the above pic works ill put more on

I'll put some pics on. We still have it in for now. we tried to get it out. My dog wont let us. Its wedged in. We think its a chip of a stick. Or it might just be growth. But he just running on a field and then sudenly stopped and dropped for a while. Thats when we investigated. He's limping around everywhere. so we think it has to be a stone or stick. Here's some pics.

Irish

Ouch! I'd keep him off it as much as possible since every time he walks, he'll be driving it further in. I think a trip to the vet ASAP is in order. Poor Guy!

avenlee

WOW, ouchie! If you can't get to a vet, I'd keep it clean with some perioxide, and wrap it up to keep it covered and Keep him off it until you can get to a vet. Keep it sterile until then. If its an actual wood chip, its well in there! Feel so bad for your pup. But, I don't think I'd try to get it out myself.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
dang that's a baddie..keep him off it so he doesn't drive it in further..i had a glass spinter that worked it's way right up to the heel bone..i think that is a vet thing if he won't let you, and a puncture of natural material is full of bacteria so he will probably need a antibiotic as well..poor pup..wish i could help. Victor ran a stob of a stick right up the side of his foot, above the paw thru the skin and out above the joint..the vet had to scrape it clean..hugs for your poor pup's piddy paw..that hurts just to look at it! wonder how far it goes in..doens't look like it has been there long..not terribly red or infected looking..

bubbatd

I wish you'd try to get it out and soak the paw in epsom salts...then antibiotic cream.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
hey bubbat i was just gonna post what if you soaked it in very warm water? might soften the pad around the piece..worth a try..like minds sometimes you and I :) pad tissue is so spongey..might work

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
it might not be as big as it seems..have you tried soaking it yet? wish i was there..my mom ran a licensed day care in the home for my entire growing up..i had literally 100 children (not at the same time) (groups of 6) in my house..i am the superchamp of getting out little tight knots out of sneakers AND getting out splinters..when it came to that they didn't want my mom they wanted ME to do it..even Hyia was amazed when i got one out of her finger two weeks ago. Jim use to drive over too and hand me his big ol paw..that man's hand was the size of a baseball glove..i took one out of his hand at home depot too...id wrap said dog up in a towel good and tight..so they can't flail, have some one hold, and some one distract..peanut butter is good, .and soak that puppy..then get a pair of cuticle cutters,, not tweezers or a needle, good pair of cuticle cutters and see if you can get the edge of that thing while pressing down and away the pad with your other hand.one finger on each side of the obstruction...anyway that is what i would do..soaking will ease the pain as well and help fight infection. A cat tore my hand up when i was a teenager and my fingers swelled up the size of hotdogs..the er told my to go home and soak it in as hot of water as i could stand for umpteen hours..mom put a big bowl down and dip dip dip trying to keep it in for even a second..by the time i could get it in and hold it there she would come by with the tea kettle and hea it back up..when my cat had a toe swelled up and abscessed i did the same thing to him..wrapped him up tight, and stuck one finger on each side of his foot so i could make sure that the water wasn't too hot..took a big ol pyrex bowl of hot water outside, sat on the steps and dip dip dip until i could keep my own fingers in as well as his foot .. then we got a good deep 10 minute soak..I caught that cat and did that 4 times a day the first day, 3 the next and his grape sized toe returned to absolute normal. have you ever been to the er when they had to wrap a child up...Hyia would die if she knew i told you she had to have a bead removed from her nostril..a pearl bead to be exact..wrap them tight..i saw a trick with a pillow case once that was impressive but i am not exactly sure how they did it..you need a papoose board like they used on my son when he was a toddler..to stitch his forhead. Talk about secure. If you would have stood him up straight i think his little feet would have run all the way home, but that was the only part that moved.... :(

Last edited:
Have you tried pouring hydrogen peroxide around it and letting it get down around the sides? Sometimes the energy from the oxygenation will move the foreign matter enough that you can get a hold on it with tweezers.

To hold him still you might need to wrap him up in a sheet, leaving that one paw outside of the wrap - like you'd wrap a cat in a towel. Just talk to him softly and try to keep him distracted while you're working on that paw.

Betadine solution will not only kill a lot of the bacteria, but will help alleviate the soreness. You may still want to take him to the vet's office when it opens to make sure you don't have to deal with an infection and get it checked to make sure all the foreign matter is out.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
how would you wrap one of your big ol Fila's renee...i simply can't picture that ..a bed spread?

Haha! They don't wriggle or balk me when I have to do something they don't like - they just give me that looooonnnng sad face. I guess if I had to I could sit on them . . . or just tell Bimmer to make them be still. When Bimmer growls, they listen! :D

Hey,
Well, we're bringing him to the vet asap. Just having a shower. I'll get it checked out then see what they say. Thankyou for all your idea's. It just got in yesterday. He was running on a fireld and then suddenly stopped and fell over. :( We checked his foot for injury, and found this. Poor baby. It's very hard to even look at it. He won't let us touch it because he's afraid we'll try and get it out. We don't want to do it. We'll let the vets do it. They also have all that cream and antibiotics for after. I'll be back on after we come back.

Bye

Members online