Your best pulled pork recipe!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I want to make a huge glut of pulled pork. And I'd like a nice, authentic, tasty recipe.

If it uses sauces can you explain what's in it so I can find an equivalent :D

Thank you!!

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I buy a boston butt, season it with a dry rub, smoke it for 9 to 15 hours (depending on the size of the thing), pull it and use a store bought sauce (bullseye or kc masterpiece).

For the dry rub, I usually have a mix of brown sugar, kosher salt, cumin, cayenne pepper and some other spices. Store bought rubs are just fine as well. Pork is a very forgiving meat. I just use what I think I will like.

When I smoke it, I use hickory and something sweet like apple or cherry wood. Let it go to about 185-190 degrees F internal, let it rest a bit then pull it apart.

Alternatively, I've stuck cheaper cuts in a crockpot overnight with some liquid (a sweet wine like marsala), some onions, garlic and a handful of my rub mixture.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Thanks!!!

Only thing.... Smoker none existent here!!!!! And no store bought rubs. What is your mix (or is it secret ;) ).

Will have to be slow cooked in the oven or slow cooker...

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I use seracha sause and rootbeer. And peppercorn BBQ sause. It's so good, that is if you like spicy.

I cook the pork in the rootbeer, garlic and some BBQ sause. After it's done cooking I mix together seracha sause some rootbeer and BBQ sause and put it on the stove and cook it until it's bubbling and then add to the pork

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Thanks!!!

Only thing.... Smoker none existent here!!!!! And no store bought rubs. What is your mix (or is it secret ;) ).

Will have to be slow cooked in the oven or slow cooker...
No worries. I have two different ones I use. For my pork butts, I do 1 tablespoon each of Kosher salt, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cinnamon powder, black pepper and poultry seasoning. Then I weigh it and add brown sugar in an equal weight. So if I have 100 grams of that mix, I add 100 grams of brown sugar. Mix it up well, no big clumps. Any extra, store in an air tight container.

On my ribs or when I want a bigger kick, I to 1 tablespoon each of cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of kosher salt then 1 teaspoon each of cayenne pepper, black pepper and white pepper.

When I put on the dry rub, it's a misnomer because I coat it in yellow mustard to make sure the rub sticks.

ETA: I don't have any "rubbed" photos of the pork butts, but here are some rib shots with the rub on it (for color reference)

And a shot of a completed butt (from the smoker)

and pulled

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Yum yum yum yum yum.

I have a huge cupboard of spices so mixing up a rub won't be hard :D

Off to buy my pork today and may make this Monday!!!! Hayley, does it not come out tasting like root beer? Because I think root beer is gross...?

Thank you!!!!

I'm wondering whether to cook it it in cider actually for the sweetness (cider here is alcoholic and can be quite dry, but still has lots of sugar in it)... Hmmmmm :D

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Cider is fine. I actually put equal parts olive oil, apple cider vinegar and triple sec in a spray bottle to spritz down the pork when it's in the smoker. You could certainly add that to the crock pot or do a similar concoction for basting if using the oven.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
One other thing and it's important: If you are going the oven route, "low and slow" is the magic formula. I try to keep my smoker around 250 degrees. It drifts higher sometimes, but I keep it low enough that it cooks through completely without drying out. Keeps the meat tender.

BostonBanker

We do ours in root beer as well! Leave in in the slow-cooker all day with root beer and brown sugar, drain off any of the liquid when it is done, pull it apart, and add store-bought BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's) and let it cook a bit more.

Good on pork; on pulled chicken, it is one of my very favorite meals. I don't think it tastes like root beer, just super moist and flavorful. But I also don't mind the taste of root beer, so maybe I wouldn't notice it?

Mm, and now I want pulled chicken.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Well... I have my pork. And I bought some bbq sauce, although it feels like cheating.

Plan is to make a rub, leave it overnight, slow cook in cider something or other. Pull it then bbq sauce it and cook a bit more. By the sounds of it!!!!!

My pork has a rind (UK so it's a joint for roasting and we cook with rind on). Should I remove the rind or slow cook with it on?! I don't want to pull all the fat off in the process.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I call that a "fat cap". I trim it, but don't remove it entirely. Adds some moisture and flavor to the meat. It all falls apart and melts in the cooking process. When you pull the meat apart, you can discard any of the fatty bits.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Worked awesome :D

It's not for eating though, it's getting frozen for when baby is here. I am eating a sneaky pulled pork sandwich though :D

Members online

No members online now.