Fencing

Romy

Taxiderpy
So I'm looking at fencing in about half an acre at some point here and looking for recommendations.

Priorities are:

Budget friendly

Nice looking

6' tall

Sturdy

No gaps animals could get through (like smallish puppies)

As an idea of what I'm thinking of, I'm leaning toward knotted wire no-climb horse fence that's strung like this:

The only problem I can find is fence posts. We live in a really wet climate. Even with good drainage, pressure treated posts, paint, post caps, etc. the max wood posts will really last is maybe 8-10 years, and that's with continued maintenance after it's installed.

Is it possible to get vinyl or metal posts (not T posts) that can be put in and have a top rail installed like in the picture? Vinyl posts would be freaking amazing.

I've looked at chain link and unless I randomly find enough of that height on craigslist it's too expensive. New it's over $200 for a 50' roll and that's without posts and gates.

Any ideas? Input?

I'd think that the vertical posts would last longer than 10 years. My fence is rotting, but the posts seem ok. Its the thin wood attached to it...

Any of the dogs serious about testing the fence? You can go pretty cheap with the wire if it does not have to be too strong. I like 2 or 3 rail fences with whatever is cheap and tall enough.

Romy

Taxiderpy
One puppy that I'm keeping is a jumper. She ran across the house and boinged straight up in the air, hit her head on the ceiling, and landed with all four feet on the counter. :eek:

Strider has bitten through chain link before. He was young and full of vinegar back then, so I don't think he'd do anything like that now but I've got Kaia and two puppies that are all borzois so want something that will stand up to them. I also want to discourage wildlife from getting in. There are a lot of things out there like cougars, coyotes, loose neighbor dogs, etc. and I want to keep some small livestock too.

Around here they rot out at the base because eventually water wicks up the post and kills it. Or if you don't cap it well enough it seeps down the center and kills it. It's really wet here year round. We like to say that Washingtonians don't tan, they rust. :p

Members online

No members online now.