Pit vs. Porcupine

S

stirder

I was camping in british columbia and on the same trip we had a bear charge us (dog scared it away, or else me yelling and throwing stuff at it did, possible my wife snapping shots with the camera scared it away. are there camera shy bears?) a moose charge AT us then skid to a stop and run away like it had been hit with a branding iron, and a porcupine come into our campsite. we were sitting by the fire, dog (Rover, no I didnt name him) laying at my feet, little booger waddled up from behind me within 3 feet of striders nose. he was asleep and we were making a bit of noise so I guess I understand him not hearing it :) he stood up in excitement/suprise and wham. 5 quills on right ankle, 4 on left. striders ankles not mine. but he never moved from the heel position. there was a tree just a couple feet behind me that he climbed up, I assume he climbed down the same one.
***t happens, to everyone now and then. as I said Im betting they let the dog out and before they realized what was out there, wham wham wham the dog was filled with quills.
the guy who I quoted from another site earlier has a new one from his vet....
the owners have seen comments on snopes and many forums discussing this. they said they had posted comments on several thanking those who realize the possibility that they were not to blame. they also admit that yes, in a way they were. they thought the dogs wanted to chase a squirrel, opened the door and as the dogs bolted they realized it was a porcupine. they rushed out and pulled the dogs off and didnt get any quills themselves. they have already spent over $3,000 in surgery, antibiotics, pain pills and x-rays to ensure there was no nerve or tendon damage to the dogs. they obviously love their dogs.
again, I cant garauntee this is true, but still seems reasonable. people will lie for no reason but, well, who knows. in a way yes it was their fault because we as owners are ultimately responsible, but this could just have easily happened to any of us (or those in procupine territory).

Members online

No members online now.