Walking a Dog and Cat?

I recently started to walk not only Cotton, but his trusty sidekick Diva the Cat. It began a month ago. Diva use to stare out the window everytime Cotton and I left the apartment to walk-the-walk. Diva the Cat often cried when we left. So one day I decided to let her join us walk-the walk. No, Diva did not have a leash on. She just followed us. On ocassions, she would jump on Cotton in a playful manner on the walk. I've noticed the neighborhood dogs staring at Cotton strange. I think Cotton may be losing crediblility amongst his peers. Yet, Diva and Cotton has grown closer since the walks. Life! Any thoughts?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
If your cat really enjoys the walks and you like taking her you should get a leash and collar and take her with them on. That will give her the chance to come with you guys and make her safer.

nedim

Babyblue5290 said:
If your cat really enjoys the walks and you like taking her you should get a leash and collar and take her with them on. That will give her the chance to come with you guys and make her safer.

You took the words right out of my mouth :D

Invisible

I think there should be cat leash laws, but it's not like that would ever happen :rolleyes:

Cotton: I sent you a message, did you not get it?

Fran27

It depends where you go. Vameka will also follow us when we go outside if she sees us leave. She's an inside/outside cat, but I'm careful not to go farther than I would like her to go on her own. So, not very far, and I try to take Boris out when she is not around.

But there really isn't any risk depending on what relationships both have. Boris and Vameka are not really close, so she keeps her distance. If another dogs comes, she stays carefully away, and away from cars. See how your cat reacts to cars and dogs. If she wants to play with Cotton, and he doesn't mind, why not? Just make sure she's careful if you see another dog and it should be ok. If she's an inside car, of course you should use a leash.

I've tried the leash with Vameka, she wasn't too fond of it, and as she goes outside on her own it's probably not a good idea to leash her, especially as she won't be able to move away if another dog comes. Just a thought.

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
Yes, the cat would probably be safer without the leash, holding onto her via leash while a dog is attacking her would only impede her.

My Gonzo was an indoor cat (just too many dangers and diseases for cats outside now), but he walked on a leash and halter. Walking him and Bear at the same time wasn't really enjoyable for either of them, as a cat's idea of a walk and a dog's are two entirely different things! Cats want to saunter and take their time; dogs are more motion oriented, wanting to go from place to place or intriguing smell to smell.

And in Gonzo's case, well, he was fully capable of convincing large dogs they really didn't want to irritate him, lol!

Most of the time walking a cat isn't all that practical. If something frightens the cat and you pick it up to protect it, you're going to get mauled. If it's a dog that's after the cat, you've really got a problem.

Members online

No members online now.