Tips is here!

Fran27

Well I got Tips yesterday (my husband decided of the name, he didn't like Paws). We called him Tips because the end of his paws and tail are gray. It's really cute.

We arrived at the house where the dogs were at 6. There were lots of them, all breeds, all below 2 I think, and all adorable. I recognized him right away. Just like the picture, but much smaller than I expected. I went to see him, opened the crate, he was a bit scared at first, with the tail under his legs, but he came eventually. I picked him up, he's not more than 7-8 lbs, and he seemed very skinny.

My husband fell in love too :D You just can't resist his look, lol. We took him on the grass a bit, he never peed, he ate food out of our hands though. He was a bit curious, walking around a bit. He seemed tired though, but he just came from a 5 hour car trip too.

Then I signed the paper. He's exactly 2 months today, and they gave him his first shots a week ago. As he was in a shelter at 6-7 weeks I believe, so he didn't stay long enough with his mom, and he might still have parvo... I hope he won't. I'm not worried about him getting agressive for now though... I put him on his back to see how he took it, well he could have just stayed there 10 minutes if I hadn't put his back on his paws, lol. He was licking my husband's nose too. A real sweetie!

He was great in the car. He didn't move too much at first, then we took him to petsmart (had to go again get new food as the 50+ lbs puppy one of Boris won't really cut it, and a collar as medium was too large), he didn't move from my arms at all... In the car after though he was extremely interested in the bag and started moving around a bit on me.

At home, I put him the leash (it seems so huge compared to him, lol), and put him on the front yard. Luckily, the cats were there, too. It's funny, they were afraid of Boris when we got him (he was three times bigger though), but they just came and smelled Tips. It was really cute. No hissing, nothing, Tiger even came to smell his nose :) The cats are bigger than him, even Vameka who is a small cat, lol. Tips was curious but backed off to my feet anyway, i guess he was a bit scared. Then my husband took Boris out, and oh man was he happy! I was REALLY worried because he wanted to rush to Tips, but he stopped when close and just started smelling him everywhere. Tips was covered in Boris's slime :D But he was curious and smelled him, too.

We took both to the back yard, and Tips still wouldn't pee, so I took him in his pen. Basically, they were trying to steal each other's toys through the gate, Boris was next to him all the time, but he peed three times in the pen and once in his crate too... Took him outside everytime, but he wouldn't go. I took him out every 30 minutes, and he still peed in the pen and never outside. Bah. He's eating ok, not much but he got a few bites... and he did two nice sits so he got two big treats. Making a 7 lbs dog sit is just too adorable!

He didn't go in his crate during the night though, but he was so noisy we just put him in a cat carrier in the bedroom. Boris lied down in front of it, and we managed to get 4 hours of sleep at least. I took him out this morning, still no pee, and he peed in his pen again though. Argh, I hope he will get it, I say 'no' and take him outside as soon as he does though... I'll just be happy if he pees once outside!

The only annoying thing is that as soon as he's out of the pen, Boris is all over him. They played a bit today (Tips get on his back a lot, which is nice, he nips at Boris when he's too brutal though), the problem is that with that big 60+ lbs dog around it's a bit hard to get Tips to just pee outside, and I don't even want to imagine training him. I manage to gate Boris in the room half the time before I take Tips out, but he's not peeing yet. I guess I'm going to spend lots of time outside until he finally pees there. It was easier with Boris as he went to pee outside almost right away.

Character-wise, I'm not sure what to expect. He doesn't like when I go to pick him up, puts his tail between his legs still, but once outside he comes to me wagging his tail. He's also extremely curious too. Tried all his toys already, and most of all he went inside by himself a few times when outside, and started exploring the whole house right away - Boris in comparison didn't dare leaving the living room at first.

I'm totally in love with him already, just worried because i can't get him to pee outside (it's just been 14 hours though), and not too sure about what to do at night, he has lots of separation anxiety obviously. Can't believe the noise that such a little guy can make! My husband wasn't happy, and I think I slept 5 hours lol. So I'm going to leave the room a lot during the day so he gets used to it, although I don't think that keeping him in a carrier in our room at night will be a problem. He does whine when in his crate even when we are around, but much less than Boris used to, and mostly because he wants to play with him I think...

I guess it's amusing that even after succesfully housetraining a dog I'm worried about this one, lol. I know it will just take time and patience, but he will eventually pee outside, right? :) Going to do the same as with Boris, crate 30 minutes, then outside 15, if he doesn't pee, crate again, if he does, play pen for 20 minutes, and increase the time... He didn't pee in his crate during the night so hoping he knows it's his den now and won't pee in it... What do you think?

I took some pics, they are in my album, needs to get approved first though.

Fran27

Boris has peed twice in front of him already.. I even gave him treats. Tips didn't seem to care, lol. I'm not sure I should let Boris come anyway, he won't leave him alone and it's not helping. Although maybe running around will make him want to pee?

Irish

Good luck with the potty training, I'm sure Tips will get it real soon. BTW, love the name Tips! :)

Fran27

Still no pee outside... Hopefully he will get it soon, lol. He hasn't pooped yet either but with the stress he hasn't eaten much, and the heat probably doesn't help. Hopefully he will do it soon though.

Otherwise, I'm amazed... 2 months old, and he already knows sit (I had to show him twice then he got it), my husband is working on down, and he comes when we ask him too :D I'm afraid this last one isn't going to last though... He spilled his water bowl in the crate when we were doing groceries too, but we're not sure there wasn't a pee too, so I had to wash him in the sink, and he was a real cutie too. He's also mostly crate trained already, he keeps going in there to take his nap... He's so good!

Oh more picture in my album now.. He was a bit messy when I took them as he had just rolled in the dust.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.