Jenny got sprayed by a skunk last night

bogolove

Liz calls me in a panic about 9:30 p.m. last night. jenny had just gotten sprayed by a skunk in their backyard. She asks me what to put on her. So, I use my resources, this forum, and my dog bible. I told her all the things I found on here and in my book. I never heard back from her, and I told her to call me if she needs anything else. I told her the tomato juice, and Renee had mentioned several times about the cheap beer, so they tried that too. I have not heard the results yet, but I will keep you posted on it.

It was practically on their back porch. She said Jenny stepped out to use the bathroom and saw the skunk right there and got sprayed right in the face. She said her whole house stinks so bad.

Poor Jenny! One thing about the beer bath, Jenny will forget how nasty her night was, lol! Bear got himself plastered from licking the beer off. I've got to scan those photos in to show you guys . . . :D

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Poor ol' Jenny! lol! I can just picture Bear plastered! Like the time my dad fell asleep on the couch with a glass of Bailey next to him and when he woke up the cat had drunk it! lol! She staggered about drunk as anything for about 4 hours! lol! :D

Barb04

Super Moderator
Oh poor Jenny! I hope something worked. That's the most aweful smell to get rid of.

Adrienne

One bottle of hydrogen peroxide mixed with two tablespoons of dawn dish detergent and you have the best skunk cleaner ever! I have used it many times with GREAT results. Much less messy than tomatoe juice too!

bogolove

Good idea Adrienne! I will let her know that too!

Gus - that cat story cracked me up! That was hilarious!

Renee - I can't wait to see those pictures! LOL!

Athe

What I have found that works great, much better than the hydrogen peroxide & dawn dish detergent (you also add baking soda to that mixture)....I used Bioaid purchased at Wal-Mart in the children's dept. Works great. Most products do not get the smell of skunk completely out....so I usually follow up the bath with an enzyme based spray product purchased from the Vet.

Shiva came in again the other night after having stuck her big head in some polecat perfume. It was 11:30 and she got the Febreeze quick-shot until morning, lol! You'd think she'd learn! Bimmer and Kharma steer clear . . . :rolleyes:

bubbatd

Athe...you got it ! 1 Qt. of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide...1/4 cup of Baking Soda....1 tsp.of dish soap.

bogolove

Apparently she does not stink anymore. They used the beer and then a shampoo, so I guess it worked!

Their house is a different story. My husband was over their earlier helping Liz's husband change a flat tire and he said the whole place smelled like a skunk, and very strongly. It sprayed right outside their main windows and sliding door, so I guess that it just seeped through. They are going to be out of town all weekend, so hopefully it will air out by the time they get back.

Irish

Its great you guys have this home remedies. When Odie got sprayed a few years ago, I bought a "skunk off" shampoo from my vet - it costed around $12, but it worked.

bubbatd

My "recipe " came from an Newspaper article many years ago...I've posted this before, but feel it needs a repeat. A chemical engineer wanted to market a skunk shampoo.... he got road kill skunks and worked on it until he got the perfect mix. Only trouble was that it couldn't be mixed and sold because of the gas pressure... so he let his secret out to the public. I tried the tomato juice thing before this came out. This works much better !

Yikes! Poor Jenny.

I remember several times where my sister was walking with Colby and May and they came upon a skunk. May ran up to them a couple of times and got sprayed, then poor Abbie spent hours bathing this dog....

Members online

No members online now.