What should my Next Dog be?

With Zane officially a senior this year, meaning I now have two grey dogs with iffy health, I've decided to think about Next Dog (also it helps me keep my mind of Kieber's back issues and the fact that in several years I MAY be down to one dog if his issues don't resolve:()

This dog will come from a rescue/shelter/private rehome and I really want an adult over the age of 2. Mix or pure, I don't really care. I just want a sort of "guideline" if you will.

What I'm looking for:

* 10-30lbs (I have joint issues and don't want to hurt myself if in the event of an emergency I have to carry the dog)

* Minimal grooming (not averse to brushing/bathing or going to groomer 1-2 times per year)

* Able to get along with other dogs/animals (besides dogs, I also have cats, rats and parakeets, so nothing with a high prey drive).

* Sane amount of energy (I need a dog that can be calm in the house, but still likes to be active outdoors)

* Heat tolerant

* Relatively Healthy

Jason W

Hmmm, I was going to suggest a greyhound or lurcher but then you mentioned high prey drive :lol-sign:

Mine are pretty intolerant to anything else with fur that moves!

The whole time I read it I just thought some sweet, low maintenence shelter mix (since you indicated you'd go that route anyway). I don't think breed would really matter.

If you were to get a purebred...what about a cavalier? I think that checks off most your boxes except potentially the health issues (though for all the times I've heard them called a heartbreak breed, I've known .... nine in my life? And the only one that had health issues was a boy who like to eat socks and toys, so was in surgery for that multiple times). YMMV.

The whole time I read it I just thought some sweet, low maintenence shelter mix (since you indicated you'd go that route anyway). I don't think breed would really matter.

If you were to get a purebred...what about a cavalier? I think that checks off most your boxes except potentially the health issues (though for all the times I've heard them called a heartbreak breed, I've known .... nine in my life? And the only one that had health issues was a boy who like to eat socks and toys, so was in surgery for that multiple times). YMMV.
I will mostly get what ever little dog "clicks" with me, but I'm sort of wanting something that is not a Chi or Doxie and that is what the shelters around me are always flooded with.

While I like what I here about Cavs, all those potential health issues make me shudder.

Sorry I was thinking in kg not lbs!
That's okay. :)

hiero

Around here (I'm in the NE - Mass to be exact) I would NOT focus on shelter dogs. Because around here the "shelter" dogs get adopted too quickly, and you can not judge a dog personality closely enough in just an hour or so in the extreme setting of a rescue agency. You can get SOME idea - but I've not found it to be reliable.

I used to live in Memphis, tho, and sometimes visited the pound there. Now, THAT was an extreme situation, but I think that gave me a better idea of the dog's capacity than the milder circumstances of the rescue agencies up here. I do not understand why - maybe the dogs get freaked by the long drive north and constantly changing environment.

But you are in Texas, so the pounds down there probably have a lot of dogs who won't get rescued. Translate that, for you, to weekly trips to the pound looking for somebody who is a good fit.

I've always liked that mutts have better health prospects, but it doesn't always work out that way. Rare breeds that are closer to "landrace" breeds have become more popular this past decade. Like the English Shepherds I have now. Or Canaan dogs, or catahoula, or Koolies, etc. Part of the reason for their popularity is the health issues.

Members online

No members online now.