My Oliver is being neutered...

chibul

...at 8AM. He's at the vet's overnight, which is pure hell on me and my fiancee - it's so hard not to have him around! :) My main question is what can I expect in the days afterwards, in terms of pain and mood. What can I do to make sure he doesn't mess with the incision? My mother said she gave her St. Bernard baby tylenol after he was neutered for the pain - is that a good idea? Oliver is our first dog, so we want to do things the right way :)

taratippy

Well when ours were done they were bouncing around like nutters about 2 hours after the op! The vet told us to keep them quiet, some chance! However, one did try to mess with his stitches and so had to have a cone, boy do them things hurt when they bash you. We put ours on arnica before hand to help with bruising and pain and I would suggest you put you boy on it as soon as he's back. Dont worry too much he'll be fine and back to his normal self sooner than you think. Just keep an eye on him.

chibul

What exactly are cones, and where do you get them? (Told you I'm in the dark on this! :))

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
We had out cat done recently, and the vet was all "if he wants to eat, give him a small amount, and try and keep him in, he might feel off" etc..

Well, he shouted at us for starving him, scoffed a bowl of food and ran off for an hour or 2!! Happy as Larry! Honestly, he was exactly the same, you wouldn't think anything had happened.

Best advice is too play it by ear. If they look unwell keep an eye on them, if their bouncing about as normal, treat them as normal, but just keep watch!

Fran27

I haven't seen any difference in their behavior just after being neutered. Just as crazy as ever, lol. Don't give tylenol, it's not good for dogs! Aspirin is ok, but he shouldn't need it, it's a light operation for males.

Just make sure you keep an eye on him, not too much excercise (yeah... as if), if he goes after his stitches get an elizabethan collar (although my little one totally destroyed it after 3 days). No bath until 3 days after the stitches are removed.

You'll see it, it's really nothing. We get worried more than them, lol.

Barb04

Super Moderator
When our Max was neutered, he had to stay overnight too. When we picked him up the next day, it was like nothing happened. He went outside the vet's office, peed, and wanted to go back in. It was like he never had the operation to begin with. Nothing changed.

corsomom

When my rotty was neutered he was very sore the next day but back to his normal self after that . I did give him aspirin the first day also had to keep him apart from the other 2 dogs for a few days.

showpug

Sirius said:
A cone is something that you put around your dog's head,
so that it won't scratch the stitches.
Formally known as an Elizabethan collar or also referred to as an e-collar. ;)

Members online

No members online now.