(human) Cat allergies

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
The past three days Michael has been absolutely miserable. :( I've told him that I understand if it's something he doesn't want to deal with and we can start looking for a home for Histamine, but he really enjoys her and wants to keep her.

We're going to pick up some non generic anti-histamine's today (a vet I work with is allergic and owns a cat, and she swears by Zertec-D), but besides that, is there anything I can be doing to try to keep allergens low? Bathing her with a certain shampoo? Wipes?

He insists on wrestling with her and holding her and petting her, and he washes up every time he does, but his eyes are still getting irritated and his nose has been runny, too. I think that's something he's willing to live with, but I feel bad. :/

He's lived successfully with a cat before that was bathed and brushed routinely, so she's going to be on the same grooming schedule as the dogs, I just wasn't sure what else I could be doing.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
My mom is allergic to cats and we have a cat, so when she visits, I take a few precautions that seem to really help (she refuses to take meds for it):

- bathe the cat (Pi) in an allergen reducing shampoo
- use a HEPA filter in the room she's sleeping in
- vacuum the room Pi stays in well, AFTER doing the rest of the house, with a fresh filter in the vacuum.

If Pi had free roam (he doesn't because of litterbox issues), I'd likely have a sheet over the couch and would change that prior to her visits, too.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
How long have you had her? Sometimes it takes prolonged exposure to start building up a little immunity to the allergen. I'm allergic to cats and I found myself with a nice poofy maine coon mix so I know his pain.

I have successfully taken Allegra (Fexofenadine) for years to combat general allergies and recently switched to Claritin (Loratadine) because it's cheaper and a lower dose of meds. Benedryl is great for bad attacks but usually makes you loopy or knocks you out completely.

When I'm away from home for a few days, coming back to Jade is always an adjustment period again but it happens over about two days. If he just has really bad allergies though, he does need to make decisions about how he'll interact with the cat.

When Jade was a kitten, I got her used to weekly baths/nail clipping. Since Histamine is a shorthair, brushing will be much easier and better to start her young anyways. There are definitely anti-allergy baths out there but if he's allergic to dander, there's not a lot you can do for him other than see if he'll eventually be able to tolerate it.

There's always allergy shots!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I'm allergic to cats. They make me sneeze, itch and I actually need an inhaler as my chest tightens. I usually feel like I'm getting the flu or something!

However.... I've always lived with cats until recently lol.

Quite honestly my symptoms fade after continued exposure to particular cats, as in daily living with them. So for the first few months it's bad, but it becomes manageable. I just take antihistamines and keep an inhaler handy. Wash my hands after touching them, never touch my face after touching cats, and obviously don't rub them all over me lol.

Wiping surfaces regularly with a damp cloth can help, hoover frequently, change bedding, wash clothes etc

I survived. Kills me whenever I go back to my parents though. But hey ho. I'm just happy I'm not allergic to other animal fur!!

Same thing everyone else said, my mom and sister are really allergic to cats but we've never been without at least two cats at any given time.

Whenever a new cat is added it's hell for them for a little while, especially with close contact but that goes away. My mom still reacts not great if scratched or sometimes if she's head butted in the eye she ends up with a very irritated eye but overall, once they adjust they are fine with the cats.

Other than that I would say make sure to keep up with dusting and vacuuming, cat brushing.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
We've had her in the house now for....about a week and a half? We've had her for almost a month, I'd say, but she's been staying in our garage due to her taming process, hid allergies, and originally not planning to keep her.

He doesn't have bad flare ups, but his nose gets runny and his eyes get itchy. Plus/minus sneezing. At this point we're unsure if he's allergic to her dander or her saliva. He can typically be around her without issues, it's when he touches her that he flares up.

I think he's willing to put up with it to keep her, so I don't feel *too* sorry for him. But I do. Lol

Members online

No members online now.