Shed Hunting?

So, aside from herding goats, guarding quail and chasing raccoons and coyotes off it looks like Indy's finding a purpose in shed hunting. I'm not sure why I didn't think to train for this sooner because it makes perfect use of his nose and might even make me some extra cash - one thing that off-season hunters and hipsters have in common is willingness to purchase antlers in good condition. Plus it increases my bone decor options, bones are cool. :cool:

I'm also starting to revisit blood tracking skills (we've done some work on them before) in hopes of shaping him up to help people I know with quick, ethical, conservation friendly game recovery next season, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, I tossed this shed out last night for training and it got left there in a turn of events... I was worried I might have trouble finding it again. I recalled him toward the end because he had hiked his leg which is annoying (poorly timed peeing is something we're correcting) and I was going to make him rework the field, but he found the shed right after (or saw it just before) so I let it slide. I think I probably need to reinforce his retrieves.

Regardless, if he keeps improvement up I might consider attending some NASHDA qualifying events.

[YOUTUBE]wcXSb-64f5A[/YOUTUBE]

Anyone else have interest or experience in this burgeoning little sport?

Next dog will be trained to hunt sheds. We've also got moose in our area, and those are worth a good amount to artisans, etc. I've worked some with the Plott Hound on it, but it's too cold for him when I like to start (late winter/early spring).

Surprisingly, for a short-haired dog, mine did pretty well last winter even in < 20 degree temperatures (being outside, not working in any way)... but to keep him comfortable we'll most likely be getting a waterproof jacket and paw wax for Christmas. He'll definitely be put on a higher calorie dog food formula once the temperatures start to really dip.

I'm going to start hunting mid-December. Occasionally bucks around here do shed that early, but really it's more for practice - I can bring an antler along and do a plant to help him "win" the game if I need to. I'm also not opposed to working the same area once early, one mid, once later... really I'm playing it by ear.

Do you have any particular breed in mind yet?

This is something I've considered, but I don't think Venice would be good at it. She is not a very 'nosey' dog and hunts with her eyes instead.

Our family cottage is on about 700 acres of privately owned forested hills (all shared by neighbours). We have plenty of deer up there but despite roaming the woods my entire life, I've never found a shed... We also have like 3 feet of snow in the woods until April/May, and the bucks typically shed in December/January, right?

I hardly know a thing about shed hunting but it seems to combine my two favourites - hanging out with the dogs and hiking in the woods.

That is really awesome.

I have found 1 shed in my life. At our farm I was driving up the main road and looked over under an oak tree and there it sat. Pretty as a picture, sticking up nice and light colored in short grass. Waiting on me to see it.

I have walked miles in the woods. Never seen one. From my understanding is you have a limited time to find them before the squirrels eat them because they love them for calcium I think.

yes, if they're dropping in Jan or Feb, they're mostly gone by April. Squirrels, porcupines, mice etc all eat them up pretty quickly. The only "shed" I ever found was in a ditch doing hwy clean up one spring. I don't think it was shed naturally.

Members online

No members online now.