Bike/Scooter Joring!

I'm not suggesting to wait until growth plates are closed for activity! I can't even imagine that. I'm suggesting that serious pulling should probably wait until then. Of course, I don't really know.

And actually, we do suggest children don't do, for example, weight lifting until their growth plates are closed. :)

amberdyan

I think everyone has their own opinion, and I don't actually think we're disagreeing here, lol. StompinT, I wouldn't have a young dog pulling any serious weight (like a child being a weightlifter). When Hugo "pulls" there's no way he's actually pulling even 1/4 of my weight. He's pulling just enough to keep tension on the line. But there's no way I'm going to fault you for being extra cautious with your guy.

Oh, I have no idea what the best answer is, but I think it's prudent for us to wait until Louis is 2 before he pulls any weight, given what we know of his breed and the time it takes for maturity. If I'm incorrect, and it would have been fine for him to starting pulling at a year, I'm not really out anything but time. The consequences for erring on the early side though, are potentially more dramatic.

I'm also quite sensitive to this subject, as my husband is a surgeon and sees plenty of children with injuries from repetitive motion, and strain on immature skeletal structures. Children! Not only is it painful for them now, they have a lifetime of discomfort and disability ahead of them as a result of too strenuous training and activity early in life.

Add to this my 32 yr old SIL has just undergone back surgery to try to reduce the chronic pain she's been living with due to significant time spent as a young child in gymnastics, and then diving.

All this to say, it's definitely top of mind for me.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I personally don't run on pavement, but that is because we have an abundance of dirt trails. When I lived in CO, Harlow was only about 12 months and we would bike paved paths, but I would position my bike to where she was mainly running on the grass beside me (this was before we started joring).

I think as long as you vary speeds, allow lots of breaks, and keep the trips short running young ones is fine; especially on a wheeled jore system.

Dekka

Just try me..
Oh, I have no idea what the best answer is, but I think it's prudent for us to wait until Louis is 2 before he pulls any weight, given what we know of his breed and the time it takes for maturity. If I'm incorrect, and it would have been fine for him to starting pulling at a year, I'm not really out anything but time. The consequences for erring on the early side though, are potentially more dramatic.

I'm also quite sensitive to this subject, as my husband is a surgeon and sees plenty of children with injuries from repetitive motion, and strain on immature skeletal structures. Children! Not only is it painful for them now, they have a lifetime of discomfort and disability ahead of them as a result of too strenuous training and activity early in life.

Add to this my 32 yr old SIL has just undergone back surgery to try to reduce the chronic pain she's been living with due to significant time spent as a young child in gymnastics, and then diving.

All this to say, it's definitely top of mind for me.
I totally get what you are saying. It is just something I see (not speaking of you) where people are told their dog (or horse) breed matures later (not true they all mature at the same rate give or take a margin of time) so they do nothing with them till they are fully mature.

Things like gymnastics in humans are crazy. But I put my kid in some team sports so he could run around get moving, but nothing hard, or that took repetitive training.

But over work, over strain etc I fully agree that is bad. I agree pulling, like weight pull would be bad idea. But running ahead and just learning to keep the light tight etc... kinda like you can intro baby dogs into the basics of agility without them really jumping or doing full height things.

Of course if you wish to wait that is fine. I just don't think you have to wait if you wanted to start training the basics now.

Oh, I totally want to start training now. LOL! Thinking about the most safe way to go about it. I'm thinking (for carting) an empty cart, no weight at all, just getting used to it. And I know I need to do some directional training too, that I wouldn't need a cart for. Joring would be good for this.

Members online

No members online now.