Eating poop

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
How do you get rid of this habit. It really grosses me out.

Hank walks around after the papillons like they are yummy poop cookie dispensers outside.

Is there any way other than basically just pottying him separately and pooper scooping the papillon poop before he gets outside? It would be really nice to be able to potty them together.

He has lots of tummy issues still too and I'm 99% sure this isn't helping.

Oh gawd, don't get me started on this. Our 11 year old shih tzu does this. Note I said DOES. She always has, and over the years I've tried every trick in the book. At the end of the day I decided there was nothing I can do about it, and now I just clean up poop very often and live with it. I don't let her give kisses on the mouth :rolleyes:.

I tried hot sauce poop, special stuff you sprinkle on the dogs food, booby trapping poop with Bitter Apple, scolding her, ignoring her, blah blah blah. The list goes on.

Ooh I've got lots of experience with this! At the shelter I volunteer at, all the dogs are in playrooms together (like doggie-daycare), so there are bound to be some poop-eaters. We always make note of who eats the poop, but it really is a behavior that cannot be corrected until a dog gets adopted. When a poop-eater gets adopted, we always give the new family a bottle of stool-eating deterrent pills. I think it makes the poop taste bad, so after a while the dog will stop trying to eat it. It has always worked for us. The brand is something like Only Natural Pet. You would have to give it to all three of the dogs, but it actually works, and it is not forever. If you are opposed to the pills, then I have heard that feeding pineapple to the dogs helps in the same way, but I have never tried that one out.

SoCrafty

My old dog loved kitty crunchies. The only way I was able to get it to stop was to pick it up and toss it; also follow her around and when she would attempt to eat it, I'd trade up for something else (like a cut up hot dog or some other high value treat). Eventually, she just grew out of it (or learned she got better things if she didn't)

Maxy24

I'd try feeding everyone the gross tasting poop pills, it's the easiest solution. If that doesn't work you can try other things, maybe a long line and a good leave it. But I think it'll be hard to get him to stop eating it when you're not there unless you do something to make the poop taste terrible. Until I worked at doggy daycare I didn't realize how common poop eating was, I mean like 1/4 of the dogs eat poop. I had a camp the other day with about 6 poop eaters in it. Most of them will leave it if you tell them soon enough or start running towards them or stomp your feet. But for some that makes them just scarf it down faster. We had one owner try poop pills and the dog did stop eating it's own poop, not everyone else's, but yeah they can work.

RD

Are you dead yet?
:rofl1: I know what you mean, but that is always one of the funniest sentences that comes out of discussions on eating poop.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
lowercasehahahahahahahahahahaha

Seriously. I thought the same thing when I read that sentence.

Right? Every time a client asks me about how to stop it, I tell them there are products that "make the poop taste bad" but it seems weird to me because poop can't taste that great in the first place. :p

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Have any of you actually tried poop to know it tastes bad...? That's what I'm wondering :rofl1:

Might be a total delight!!

Yea, the stuff supposed to make the poop taste "bad" didn't make a difference for my shih tzu. And telling her to leave it just made her scarf it down at record speed. I also tried giving her all sorts of things I'd read would help (bananas, pineapple, etc etc). Nuthin worked.

BostonBanker

I don't need to try sour milk to know it tastes bad, and I don't need to try poop to make the same conclusion.

But if you would like to experiment, be my guest. Just be sure you try both regular and with the icky poop pills in it, for full experimental knowledge.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Pick it up asap. Keep saying "move"; I think my neighbors now know why I'm yelling that at the top of my lungs.

I can't believe I ate a sandwich with cottage cheese on the side while reading this thread.

I have one who loves snacking on backyard Snickers. The pills we tried? Seasoning. We bought a special muzzle with a poop guard. She uses it like an ice cream scoop.

We just scoop as often as we can and don't kiss her on the lips.

Members online

No members online now.