How long have you left your dog?

JacksonsMom

For vacations, travel, etc?

I just realized that the longest I've been away from Jackson was 6 nights one time. I had to fly out to CO to help my uncle after he had surgery. It felt like FAR too long.

I am very lucky that I have my dad, I always leave him at his house -- he has a fenced in yard, two other dogs, plus my step-mom helps a lot. I just feel the most comfortable with him over there plus it's like his second home.

I would never board him, so if I didn't have my dad, I guess I'd have to settle for my mom who isn't a dog person but at the very least he'd get the basics like taken out a few times a day and fed, lol.

I would probably be more willing to travel more often and farther distances if I didn't have him. To be honest I think *I* have separation anxiety -- haha.

Last edited:

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Well, if you're only counting vacations, not work travel, I was away from Kim and Web for 11 days last year as I roadtripped around visiting friends. However, I had Mira with me the whole time, met and visited about 50 dogs along the way (including some familiar faces around here), and had a Cookie with me on the way home...

If you're counting having no dogs along at all and not work related...maybe a night or two? Tops? Usually at least one is along though. I travel enough for work that I am generally not eager to hop a plane or stay in a hotel during my personal time.

Assamiea

Two weeks for Rocky. When I was younger I was forced to go on a vaction that I didn't want to on. Worst two weeks of my life!

The longest I've been away from Baxter is about a week at a time. My parents and sisters often visit my aunt and uncle in New Jersey and they generally take Baxter with them.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
A couple weeks when my mom was in the hospital over Christmas for her brain surgery. The breeders took the dogs for a while. I ended up traveling between three states and taking care of sisters for that time so it was nice to not have to worry about them. Missed them like crazy though.

k9krazee

We just left Crossbone with my parents for 9 days for our wedding/honeymoon and it was really, really hard. We were like those parents who only talk about their kid ;) Before that we hadn't left him for more than a night or two.

Next January we're planning a 20 day trip out of the country and I'm sad just thinking about leaving him again!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
We leave the pit bulls for a weekend or so a month for trials, it seems. We'll also be leaving them for 10 days in two weeks.

The malinois are left far less frequently. We enjoy spending time with the dogs, we usually trial as our vacations, and it's not easy finding someone we trust with them.

I think we've left the malinois for maybe four days max approx four times now.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I think the longest boarding we ever did with Xena was 15 days. Normally, we'll have her once a year for 7 to 10 days while we go on vacation. There are also the 1 and 2 nights of boarding a few times a year for weekend getaways.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Umm I think it would have been going down to Florida, but I go down to Florida to watch dogs, so I've never been dogless on those trips :lol-sign: I usually go for 11 days, I believe?

ETA: yes, I believe this year was the longest. I was in Florida full 10 days, 12 days with the travel days (I left super early morning going there, because I had other things to do, and got back super late)

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Auggie has been left for 3 days. That was many years ago. Since he is retired now he might get left behind when I go somewhere that is strict on the "no unentered dogs" rule. He will get to go stay at Gramma's for the weekend.

Payton, never for a full day. I was in Chicago shopping one day and was gone for about 16 hours, but I fed him in the morning and fed him at night, so I don't think it counts, haha.

Ignoring Pepper's times not living with me, she was left behind when I took Auggie to a long agility trial once, for two full days without me. She will probably get left behind more in the future... she's not exactly suited for travel like the boys are.

Red Chrome

Lola is 2 and a 1/2 and I have never left her. Not even one night.

Judge has been left in his whole life about a month total. He is almost 6. He stays at home and my parents care for him or he does to his breeders.

I have never been away from Radar for more than a night. Although I am thinking about going on a short vacation this fall in which case he gets to stay at home with my sister, it will bother me far more than him. My parents would also watch him, my only fear there is they would never give him back :rofl1:
When I was 6 my parents took me to Disney World and I spent the entire drive there (8 hours) crying because we couldn't take my GSD Midnight with us. :eek:

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
We've left Moses for about a week when we've gone for family vacations. He used to go to boarding facilities, where they gave daily walks, etc... but eventually just hired someone to spend a few hours at the house with him and take him to the bathroom/for walks/etc. Now that my parents are divorced, my dad is usually able to take him on for a few days.

The longest Cali has gone is one weekend, when we went to a Justin Bieber concert. I could never even imagine hiring a pet sitter or taking her to a boarding facility, so we got my dad to take her for the weekend. His girlfriend was there so she got a lot of attention and when we picked her up, she was happy as ever, much to my relief.

I really don't like leaving Cali for any longer than a night though... but I'll have to next year when I go to university.

We aren't apart from them often. We usually vacation with one or more dogs and/or one of us will take a short weekend vacation while the other stays home with the dogs and/or I spend a week somewhere and bring one or more dogs and my husband joins me later in the week with the remaining dog(s).

I think the longest dog-free vacation we took together was maybe... 7-8 days? And we've done that only once that I can think of off the top of my head since we've had Squash.

xpaeanx

Muffin: 2 weeks was the longest, but he was getting left with my friends almost every weekend for 2 nights or so for a while. He's so easy and they love him, so they would actually call me to tell me I needed to go somewhere so they could watch him. Now they watch these two crazy doxies mon-fri every week and get paid... They don't ask anymore. LOL.

Walsh: I think 2 nights once and then maybe 2 other times as an overnight only. I absolutely was not going to leave him in a kennel at all, and he was a little too much for most people. So he usually just went everywhere I went.

Toller_08

10 days I think for all of my adult dogs. Somewhere around there.

Dance has only been left once and I wondered about her constantly, but she was perfectly fine and seemed to have a really good time. Now that I did it once, I'd have no problem leaving her again with the right person.

I never worry about the Dobermans. I think about them, but I know what they're like where they stay and know they're being taken care of, so I don't worry at all. They get left at their breeder's house at least twice a year it seems, be it for long weekends or 10 day holidays.

Journey's never been left yet and I worry just thinking about it haha. And she's my most easy going dog. She gets to sleep over at a friend's house for two nights this weekend while I'm away at a Flyball tournament and I hope she behaves herself and takes to it ok. I have seperation anxiety from her I think haha. Partly probably just because she's a puppy and I've never left her anywhere yet.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Maggie ended up staying with my parents for 6 WEEKS while I was at an internship after sophomore year of college. My housing didn't allow dogs and I was out of the apartment for a full work day plus a 1hr+ commute, so it was the best option.

With the current dogs, I've been totally dog-free for about a week while attended conferences a couple times, but the dogs were home with DH the whole time.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
3 days? That was 2 years ago when my sister was getting married and had tons of activities planned, so we stayed at a hotel to minimize driving. Pretty sure that's actually the only time we have ever left the dogs.

Juno was young and hyper so she got boarded, and then my friend stayed at the house with Lucy.

16days last month when I was traveling Europe with a friend. The dogs stayed with my fiancee. Other then that a week or so almost every year for beach vacations. And they stay with my mom. Weekend get aways involve camping or cottages and family and friends force us to bring them because they love them so it works out

Members online

No members online now.