Creative ways to get exercise (for the dog, of course)

621mum

So... I'm looking for creative ways to get Luna some exercise. Here's why... I have a progressive autoimmune disease that causes disability. When I got her, I was doing pretty well on medication, but since then my body has decided that medication sucks and it should just get really sick from it. So, the medication is gradually stopping. Unfortunately, that means that my mobility has decreased a lot in the past 2 weeks. I'm hoping that this flare-up will settle down and we can go back to long walks and park romps. But, until that time, and for when the next flare happens, I need to come up with creative ways to get a puppy exercised that don't require a lot of physical activity from me.

Right now we are doing the following:
Most days she gets 2 walks, but they aren't very long (probably about 15 minutes) and are a slow pace.
We go into the yard and play "throw the stick/ball/bone" as often as I can, but since she isn't the best and the bringing it back part, sometimes that doesn't work very well (because I can't chase it down and wrestle it from her).
We also play chase the ball in the house some.
A few times a week, when we are at soccer practice, one of the kids will run her around the field some (on a leash), but they aren't particularly dependable to do this on a daily basis.
Once a week we do the dog park, but she is still pretty shy and mostly just watches there.

I'm just not sure that this is enough exercise for her. Anyone have a creative idea for me?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Have you seen those laser-light toys they use for cats? It also works for dogs. My golden retriever loved chasing that thing.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i use a laser, or a flashlight and bubbles for Vic when i don't feel well..especially the bubbles get him jumping and running after them..i saw one man that had a remote control car his dog chased up and down..if i think of others i will come back..soooooooo sorry for your troubles...(((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))
u might be able to get a designated walker for you from the neighborhood too..My friend logan is back and takes Vic for walks on occasion.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I have luxating patellas, and for quite a while last summer when Dakota was a baby my knees were just giving me hell. I couldn't walk much and even standing for long periods of time was painful. I had to think of other ways to exercise the little borderbrat..

I did get the laser pointer and try it... However, I wouldn't recommend it for Luna (who looks to be part BC) unless you don't mind her forming an obsession with lights and shadows -- things that most dogs never notice. For some reason the laser light makes them more aware of things like that, and it can drive some dogs absolutely insane if you turn on a ceiling fan and shadows are cast on the walls. My dog doesn't spaz out and try to chase them, but he does watch very intently and I know it would drive certain people CRAZY to see him do that. (I don't mind, I got a BC and expected quirks.)

My favorite thing to do was to go into a large room and bring a big basket of toys with me, and just start throwing them all over. Dakota would run around and play with them, and when he got tired of doing that he would start bringing them all back for me to throw again. Between that and the laser light, it was a lot easier to keep him exercised.

Don't forget mental stimlulation, too! I know it's nice to wear out a puppy so they nap for a while, but they will be so much calmer if you exercise their minds. Work on obedience training with her for 15 minutes or so, several times a day, and she most likely won't NEED as much physical exercise because she feels calmer. (And less likely to be bored out of her mind.)

Members online

No members online now.