Should I?

Payge

There's a gorgeous Mastiff for adoption in a shelter 3 hours away. Its in a large town so I know if I don't get there at opening he will be gone. Question is...should I? I had been hoping for a great dane, but this Mastiff's eyes are just sooo soulful. Then again hes 9 months old and if he hasnt been trained (or worse, been trained badly) he could be a handful. But on the other hand...we were planning on getting a personal trainer for the dog we adopt anyways.....gah I can't decide and I must cause its 3am and i'd have to leave here in 3 hours to get there in time!

skyhigh

Well, its your choice. Hows his temp? Is he trained? Yo dont want a handful. I just got from the dog park. There was a fight between a young dog and an older one? Anyway, one nearly killed the other. Really sad. So, just saying, make sure tht its temp tested and has a good nature. Good lcuk and tell us what you decide. Have you visited him? Is he bonding with you?

Mastiffs don't tend to have a lot of the health problems that Danes are susceptible to. The kind of Mastiff he is will also make a difference. The Old English are the easiest going. Bulls often don't have a particular desire to live with other dogs . . .

Payge

I decided to sleep on it and see if he is still there. He is an english mastiff it looks like. This is his pic: http://www.virtualpetadoptions.com/images/pets/large/29279.jpg

I have no idea on any of those counts is why im hesitant. He is at animal control, and they do only basic temperment tests before putting them out for adoption. It says he is ten months old, and weighs 90lbs. I'm concerned because its more than a 3 hour drive to get there, and i'd have to make the drive twice, once for adopting him and once to pick him up after his neutering. Theres just no guaruntees and if he tries to eat the cats i'll have to take him back (I'd prolly end up taking him to a mastiff rescue but it would still suck). I guess I could ask someone I know to adopt him for me, then meet me halfway, but that seems like a lot to ask a person (he's at animal control in San Fran).

filarotten

Fila the love
He is adorable. English Mastiffs are the most laid back of the mastiff family. We owned a gd before and he was a wonderful dog but when he died my husband would not let me get another one due the the medical cost we incurred on him. He wanted a more sturdy breed, so to speak.

Saje

Island dweller
I think it's worth the trip to meet him. You'll know then if he's the dog for you. I think 10 months is a pretty great age to adopt a dog. Do they tell you any of his background? Have you called to talk to them? If he was living in a foster home or something then he's probably housebroken. I'd make the drive if I was as interested as you. But then again I love to drive. lol But gas is completely unreasonable!

Payge

I don't know, Patrick only cares about the dogs attitude, he wants a happy dog. I happen to have always LOVED giant breed dogs, dunno why. I know the exact moment I fell in love with them, when I was 4, and reading Cinderella, and my version of the book they had a picture at the end with Cinderella and the Prince walking hand in hand with two Great Danes on leashes with them. I remember being jealous, not of prince charming, or the castle, or her beautiful gowns, I was jealous she had Great Danes.

When we got Kharma her breeder had two great danes (both 12 years old!!!!), she explained that Great Danes were fabulous for getting along with cats, and noted that Major (one of her Danes) had taken to "adopting" all the kittens she had, he would watch over them like a worrying mother hen. I've always loved all of the giant breeds, just Danes are my top favorite. Patrick however, thinks we can find any old dog that fits his attitude bill and so we shouldn't have to drive anywhere to get it. Now...this from a man who drove 6 hours (12 hours roundtrip) to get Envy, and 9 hours (18 hours roundtrip) to get Kharma. According to him this is not because he thinks cats are superior. No, its because DOGS are superior, and you don't need as much of a selection with dogs, they are all fabulous!

Ah, he came into the room, I said "Look! the Mastiff is still there!" and he said "Were not driving to San Francisco for a dog" So I gues thats the end of that. Le Sigh.

Oh, what a beautifully intelligent face! But he looks so forlorn . . . His face reminds me of Shiva when I have to tell her she can't go somewhere with me. (She's gotten to go on many unplanned trips with that face :rolleyes: )

Payge

I had a friend who lives nearby go see him. He is still there, but unfortunately when they tested him he turned out to be dog aggressive. Since we often babysit Kiko, Pats parents dog, that would not work. Too bad, I was so happy when she said he was still there. Back to the drawing board.

Edited for speeeellling

bubbatd

Maybe it's for the best... I agree with Renee......something seems to be bothering him. He doesn't have soulfull eyes...poor baby !!

Oh Grammy, I didn't mean his eyes weren't soulful . . . I just see sadness there. I also don't think he's an Old English, but is a Bull Mastiff, which would also explain his dislike for other dogs.

Members online

No members online now.