So tell me about disc

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
My current foster thinks discs are totally amazing. She loved chasing rollers and won't tug with anything but the disc. Nobody in my area does this sport so I can't find a class or practice to join. It really looks like fun, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Is there a book or website anyone can recommend for really basic basics?

Umm I'm fairly new to disc as well. I YouTube things or see tricks and figure a way how to train it in my head or YouTube how to train some things.

You will want to practice throwing and get some discs made for dogs. Some are much more durable than others.

I know your not from MN but you could read the forums here http://www.mndiscdog.com/forum/

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
We got some Hero pup discs and now they are full of holes. I've been watching YouTube and trying to learn how to throw better. Pup is happy to catch them, but doesn't run out fast enough to get them out of the air if she starts right beside me for a longer throw. She's happy to get to it after it hits and then grab it for a victory lap.

DJEtzel

That's a pretty common problem with uncoordinated puppies trying to catch their bodies up to speed with their bodies. Patton was catching discs at 5 months or so, Pilot couldn't catch reliably until about 8 months.

Throw more rollers. Keep building the drive in hauling ass to get there, lots of tug on the return, every week throw one in the air and you will be able to tell when the dog has "gotten there" and is ready for more air throws. The rollers will also build confidence in the bite so that there is no hesitation snagging it out of the air when they do get there.

Also, have you taught an around, where the dog runs behind you (clockwise or counter, your preference) and then is "in flow" to drive forward and track? If not, I would start ASAP. Much safer take off, better chances of finding it to catch, and much better timing for you both on takeoff. I say "go" when I am going to throw the disc out so that the dog knows after they've gone around me, to take off! My dogs are 5-10 feet in front of me before the disc leaves my hand this way and they have a better chance of catching.

Also, long throws for puppies or green dogs can be demotivating. I would start short- no more than 10 yards, with lots of spin to get the disc floating, to give pup a fair chance at catching and so as not to wear pup out.

If you're getting lots of holes in those discs already, I'd upgrade to sonic xtras or super sonics in either plastic (taffy or candy) - taffy is my preference. They're a little heavier than what you have now though and will be more difficult to float for a pup, so I might go with the light sonic xtras and expect a few holes- it will happen eventually with almost any disc, unless you get a bite disc. ;)

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
They still fly, but she's probably ready for bigger discs anyway. I'm not great at floating them.

We've mostly been playing in my tiny yard, so there's only about 15-20' to run. The rollers definitely help keep her motivated, we'll have to go out to the park and try some there. Her oops breeder has spent the entirety of her 8 months of life working on calm, impulse control, etc so it takes some effort to bring out the crazy.

How did you teach a go around? This is something I need to work on with Brisbane too. He has a go out to send him away from me and around an obstacle, but not a run-in-a-circle-around-me.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
For teaching go around I lure with food first. Dog starts on right side, I lure them behind me with my left hand. then once they're at my left side I toss the treat out front to get them driving forward. Once they have the concept down then you could have a disc in each hand, lure them behind you with the disc in left hand and toss the one in the right hand.

Add in your cue word like any other trick.. I'm actually not sure if my dogs even actually know the word, I always gesture which is basically just me quickly flicking my right hand + disc behind my back. They pick it up pretty quick.

DJEtzel

Yep, you can teach it with food or a disc as a lure behind you, marking and rewarding with a disc or food thrown out. I have a similar gesture for both directions so I made sure they were on a verbal, but I do a lot of flailing to indicate for sure! Most dogs pick up the around in a single session.

Members online

No members online now.