I almost hit a dog!

Unbelievable. I went to the grocery store tonight, it was already dark when I went. Behind the store is a low income housing which I pass to go home. As I was passing this housing a Black Lab came walking acrossed the street. He was in the middle of the street when I noticed him and I slowed down to nearly a stop not knowing what he was going to do.

Some people were sitting outside in their yards facing the street (dog must have belonged to one of them) and someone hollars at me! I was not speeding (I had just pulled out of the parking lot of the grocery store). Just blows my mind. They are the ones letting their dog run loose on a busy street, the dog is black so very hard to see in the dark, and somehow it was me that gets yelled at? You'd think they could figure out if a dog is leaving it's yard and crossing busy streets, keep a leash on it!

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
I agree about the last part. Its very hard to see a black animal (sorry if I affend anyone from saying that part), in the middle of the night. They should have been watching there dog and not letting it run around. Folks have gone crazy these days!

bubbatd

Becca ... Glad you were able to stop !!! Accidents do happen ... I'm glad it didn't to you !!

I hit a black Lab about 20 years ago. I was on the freeway, and there he was. Nothing I could do, he was in the worst spot he could have picked to cross at. He was killed instantly. I felt really bad about it for a long time. He wasn't a stray long, he was too clean and heavy. He had no tags or collar, so we never found out who owned him.

Last year the day I was heading out of state I hit a dog. In Oct its pretty dark out at 645am, I saw the dog dash in front of my jeep and felt the impact. When I came to a stop there was no dog in sight only my busted bumper to show it. I hope the dog made it somewhere safe to get to a vet. Too many people in my area let their dogs roam, Im glad my dog dosent like being outside without me. I got my dog about 3 weeks after that incident.

wildwings811

a.k.a: agilitydobemom
It is so awful when you hit any animal

This summer I hit a cat by accident the darn thing I thought it was really odd because it was sitting at the end of this driveway all of the sudden it just ran right out in front of me nothing I could do it must have been watching the birds that were sitting in the road and when I got close enough they flew up and the cat went after the birds it was in front of a farm so I stopped turned around and went up to the farm and told them that I had just hit a cat that was coming from their farm and killed it the guy was really rude and asked me what he was suupposed to tell his daughter about the dead cat I said sorry and walked away but I was so mad because if they were that concerned about the cat they should have had it inside

Another time I hit a possum ran right out in front of me probably about eight years ago when I was going to school to become a vet tech so I stopped and for some odd reason I thought I saw somthing moving (now in retrospect I know I didn't) so I checked it out and found 16 baby possums in the mothers pouch they had no hair and their eyes were still closed anyways I took the babys and some class mates and I split them up and I raised 6 and the other two raised 5 each we tube fed them and then bottle fed them and after about three months released them they were so cute :)

ohmai

I remember while on vacation with family; we were all at a restaurant eating and talking. I was starting to feel tired so I dragged my cousins along with me to the window side. I was looking at some dogs running around the outside of a store, belonged to them I suppose. I saw this jeep coming through the streets and the dogs were playing right near the road. I kind of felt it before it happened, my stomache started feeling all weird, it was like twisted in a knot and I just felt so horrified because one of the jeep's tires just ran into the dogs leg. He stopped, and the dog limped its way off the street and he just kept on driving.

bubbatd

You never get over it !!!! When we lived in the country , there was just a dirt lane from my house to the main road.... about 6 houses down the lane. One of the houses had " Sparky" a mixed fire cracker who love to bark at my wheels and stir up my dogs who were always with me.( they weren't that day ) Sparky was on one side of the road, his young master on the other. I always slowed down to 5 to 10 MPH when I saw Sparky...I saw him ready on the right to start his usual chase and then his master yelled out " sick 'em Sparky"... so Sparky runs in front of my car and I hit him. The owner and I took him right to the vet but he was dead before were got there. They buried him in my woods which made me feel even worse.. a few years later they had another dog and when he got sick, asked if the could dig a hole next to Sparky and shoot the dog. I cried when I heard the shot . Dog lovers ??? Think not !!!!

poeluvr

wildwings811 said:
It is so awful when you hit any animal

This summer I hit a cat by accident the darn thing I thought it was really odd because it was sitting at the end of this driveway all of the sudden it just ran right out in front of me nothing I could do it must have been watching the birds that were sitting in the road and when I got close enough they flew up and the cat went after the birds it was in front of a farm so I stopped turned around and went up to the farm and told them that I had just hit a cat that was coming from their farm and killed it the guy was really rude and asked me what he was suupposed to tell his daughter about the dead cat I said sorry and walked away but I was so mad because if they were that concerned about the cat they should have had it inside

Another time I hit a possum ran right out in front of me probably about eight years ago when I was going to school to become a vet tech so I stopped and for some odd reason I thought I saw somthing moving (now in retrospect I know I didn't) so I checked it out and found 16 baby possums in the mothers pouch they had no hair and their eyes were still closed anyways I took the babys and some class mates and I split them up and I raised 6 and the other two raised 5 each we tube fed them and then bottle fed them and after about three months released them they were so cute :)
well it definetly wasnt ur fault, he shouldnt have been rude, but it wasnt really his either, many people have outdoor cats (i do) i love him to peices but he gets depressed inside. so i dont think it was because they didnt care about him enough to make him an indoor, cat some just arn't meant to be.

I've hit a cat before. Was driving in the country and one came dashing out of the ditch right under the tire. Alot of the farm cats in this area are wild. They are only wanted to keep the mice down so they dont get alot, if any attention. I have hit a squirel to. That upset me too. It happens. We all hate it when it happens.

A few months ago my husband was on his way home, took the country route and came acrossed a car accident. This young guy had been messing with his radio and when he looked up he seen a cat in the road and tried to miss it. He lost control of his car and ended up just barely missing a tree!

As my Mom always says, "You can't save stupid people from themselves." :(

Our neighbors have a bad habit of letting their black lab mix run around the neighborhood. My Mom is a violin teacher and teaches private lessons from our house. One of her student's mothers was driving up in their big van when Rocky rushed into the street....she swerved to avoid hitting him....and luckily he was OK.

Members online

No members online now.