Feelin really bad..............

wildwings811

a.k.a: agilitydobemom
We lost our foundation stud dog for our beagle kennel

FCh LJK's Wild West Show​
May 1992-July 2005​

He was 13 years old my husband has had him since the dog was three years old he had him before we were married he produced us many field champions and we have many of his offspring to carry on his legend

But I feel really bad because when I came home from work today I didn't check on the kennel dogs like I usually do when my husband came home from work and checked on them he came in and said he was dead

I hope he wasn't suffering while I was in the house I can't help but think maybe there was somthing I could have done........ I should have checked on them

He was just vetted in January and he was as helthy as an ox and just yesterday he was just fine I mean he was jumping around and howling as usual

This morning he was fine too when I fed them hopefully it was just a heartattack and he died quickly..... but I still feel guilty about not checking on the kennel dogs:(

Kristene, it was probably something quick like that. January to July is seven months, and a lot of things can go on inside an older dog in that period of time; things you can't possibly know about. Better to go quickly like that for a hunting dog than to linger and grow infirm and let life slip away by inches, having to watch the young dogs leave you farther and farther behind.

Just remember him with love and listen for his baying on those clear, moonlit nights.

bubbatd

That's the way my heart dog Bubba went . Every passing is hard, whether your're there to hold them or they pass on their own. We just have to hold the happy memories in our hearts and grieve in our own ways. I'm lucky, I try to remember the wonderful years with them... I miss them so !!

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm so sorry to hear what happened. Please don't be so hard on yourself. Just know he is in doggie heaven with all our pets looking down upon you. He will be forever in your heart and memories.

Fran27

You shouldn't feel bad about it, it was probably painless. It's a very good way to die for a dog.

wildwings811

Thanks guys for all of your support I know and hope that he went quickly and that there was probably nothing I could have done for him

I think we are both feeling a litte bit bad because my husband I know was feeling a bit guilty last night and said "I hope it wasn't nothing I did"

He was old and I just know he is looking down on us saying thanks guys for giving me such a good life

Most hunting dogs are left to a life in the kennel but he really enjoyed coming in the house once in a while and laying on the couch chewing a rawhide I will see if I have a picture of him in the house and I will post it

Thanks again for all of your support

wildwings811

Oh and by the way Renee he was starting to slow down in the field this last winter I kindof felt bad because he still loved to go out and hunt but he just wasn't as fast as he was a few years ago but he would still burn the feet off of a rabbit lol:) (just a little rabbit hunters saying)

Irish

So sorry Wildwings, I'm sure he went quickly and there was nothing that could've been done.

Adrienne

What a sad day for you and yours. Losing a best friend like that is a step we wish we never had to take. I just know he is waiting happily at the Rainbow Bridge, tail wagging and heart singing to lead your way back to him.

My deepest condolences,

Adrienne

Members online