Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Silence, peasants.

1. Weight/height range?
Varies. Wesley is 27 inches or so and hovers just under fifty pounds.

2. Friendliness with other dogs and other animals (cats, small pets)? Reactive or DR tendencies? Wesley loves cats, rats, rabbits and guinea pigs.

3. Attitude towards strangers or people?
On leash, he loves everyone. Except creepy people or some mentally disabled people. Awful, but he never met anybody that acted 'different' as a puppy and it makes him nervous. But that's socialization. Off leash, much less interested in strangers.

4. Are they generally outgoing dogs?
Most of the poodles I've met have been quite outgoing. They're pretty goofy.

5. Barkiness?
Uhhh if you want a watch dog get a poodle...personally the barkiness bothers me.

6. Are they a healthy breed?? Health concerns?
Eyes and hips can be problems. Seizures are problems in general in poodles but less prominent in standards if I remember correctly.

7. Energy level? Off Switch? Toy drive? Food drive?
Wesley is super high energy. Loves to run. Will sleep in all day if you're not doing stuff with him. Nuts for toys and food. Not sure what the general poodle is like but yeah. Cleo, the mini poodle my mom owns, is nuts for food and tug too.

8. Anything else good/bad you want to tell me about standard poodles?
They're a really awesome breed if you like a big goofy fun loving sweet dog with high energy. I've noticed the girls seem much less appealing to me, got quite a lot of snark. Pretty much all of the ones I've met except Wes have been snarky to other dogs, not reactive. The grooming, buy a nice shaver and you're good.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Bored Now.

Subscribed.. because.. subscribed.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:11 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
8. Anything else good/bad you want to tell me about standard poodles?

Umm they are crazy cute as puppies
Proof:

Oh and also, they eat shoes.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Old 10-10-2013, 11:24 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for the replies.

Other than clipping, do you need to brush your poodles often? Do their coats mat easily??

All the maltipoo's in my area seem to may a lot. Not sure if that's because of the mix of Maltese.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Kung Pow Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Other than clipping, do you need to brush your poodles often? Do their coats mat easily??

All the maltipoo's in my area seem to may a lot. Not sure if that's because of the mix of Maltese.
coat texture in poodles, oddly, seems to vary by COLOR XD if you whip a fine tooth greyhound comb through them every day to break up snarls as they form, you should be fine. also depends on how long you let them grow
Old 10-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Maltese have a rather wispy coat, so it does mat a lot.

Brooks isn't in his full adult coat yet, so I can only go by Newt's coat (which does not require a ton of brushing beyond her ankle area, since she has the little crinkly leg)
Right now, even with his rather half and half coat as things grow in, he doesn't really mat. He may get himself absolutely filthy, but everything brushes out well. He's also got a really long coat currently

We'll see when he has his adult coat in
TA: I also have Chows, so keep in mind that the most ridiculous dirty Poodle puppy grooming is still way better than dealing with a blowing Chow coat.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:10 AM
F150 and a .30-06

I love standards and would love a nice white one. However I show so it would have to be kept in a show coat. Not to mention my dogs love like dogs. They go out, get dirty and have fun. Jazz frequently was in the slew chasing ducks the night before a show weekend and every other night lol. OMG I can imagine what a white poodle in full show coat would look like in my house. Lmao. Would not be pretty

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

If they're kept short, they most coats need very minimal brushing. The longer the coat, the more mats, the more brushing. Some poodles have very coarse hair which tends not to mat, whereas the soft, cottony coats mat very easily.