Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Just look through these:

http://sheltermedicine.vetmed.ufl.ed...s/dna-results/

I don't believe the DNA tests at all. I mean, I know that dogs can come from surprising ancestry (ie: Squash and Shambles being half husky), BUT things like #33 where supposedly 4 solid colored dogs have given birth to an irish spotted dog.... that's impossible.

Or Dog #66 where supposedly 4 longhaired breeds produce a smooth coated dog?

No way would I be using DNA tests for live or die kinds of questions. Not at all.
I remember this thing, and it irritated the crap out of me. They used it as proof that people can't visually identify breed mixes, by using the unproven DNA test.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:17 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
I remember this thing, and it irritated the crap out of me. They used it as proof that people can't visually identify breed mixes, by using the unproven DNA test.
Annoyed the crap out of me too. Obviously some dogs hav surprising heritage based on their looks. However saying 4 long haired breeds birthed a short haired pup or 4 solid colored breeds birthed a piebald is... Yeah.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Wu-Tang Steph

Magpie won the Wisdom Panel II in a raffle, otherwise I would never pay money for them. I always feel bad bursting bubbles when people get DNA tests and take to heart what their dog "is" based on the results.

Magpie's particularly was horse ****. She came back as an American Foxhound x English Spring Spaniel. To make it even funnier, they also say she has Puli, Beauceron, Canaan dog, English Cocker, and Doberman in her ancestry. Sure, OK.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Top Dog

There was a dog on here that weighed like 90 lbs, and his DNA test came back maltese X boston terrier.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Show Dog

One of my coworkers did the Wisdom panel on both her dogs who are mixes. One looks like a chocolate lab mix and the other looks like a boxer/shepherd/lab type mix. I can't even remember what they came back as but neither really made sense for fit what they LOOK like. She now goes by the Wisdom panel results and not what they look like... She has a biology degree and works in a biotech lab with me... People will believe a lot even when they SHOULD know better.

I'd still like to do it myself just for sh*ts and giggles if I see a good sale on the kits but I certainly wouldn't instantly take the results as unquestioned truth.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Top Dog

Thanks all, I'm inclined to agree with this. I've always been very skeptical of them.